Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the confusing title. The little one eyed guy that I picked up yesterday is already showing signs of bad vision in his remaining eye. I have ruby/pink eyed rats that have bad vision and we cope with it as best we can by me announcing myself and them doing their little sway dance. But they've got the advantage of at least having two bad eyes; poor little Thorin only has one. I've noticed that when I announce myself, he leads with his ears first and then will turn his eye to me and start the sway. He does this little radar thing with his head, slowly turning it, until he finds whatever is new in his environment (like my hand), and then he'll try to get it in focus. I know there are a few one eyed rat owners here, so is there anything that I can do differently to make him more comfortable with me moving around him? Keep in mind that he's very young still (6 weeks), so one eye is all he's ever known and he doesn't trust me yet since I got him yesterday.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think it is wonderful you adopted a special needs rat. They need love most of all. I wish I could be of more help.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the support. I knew that I was taking him home with me the moment I saw him regardless of how much we might struggle with trust training due to his impaired vision.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
On second thought, I think I CAN help. Sugar is pretty much totally blind. When I am around her, I say her name. She can usually tell where my voice is and she seems less startled by my being near her when she knows I am there and knows how close I am, where I am, ect.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Awwwww - Yay you for bringing how your little one-eyed baby. Big yay! I hope everything works out. I wish I could help. I've got two pink eyed boys who do their little sway dance, which I love. They're not terribly off on their sight though, so I can't even begin to understand what it must be like for you. I wish I could offer help of some sort!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts