Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i've had these two rats for about a month now. Beatrix (Trixie) and Pandora (Dora) I kind of had their names picked out before i got them. Well i had 3 names picked out and i chose the ones i liked the best. Dora is definantly a Dora. She's inquisitive, adventurous, and too curious for her own good ;) But Trixie...she's not very trixie... She's laid back, and shy. And she's just not a trixie to me. I keep wanting to call her Penelope (how's that for random :p)

In fact, Penina was the other name that i had picked out, i liked the nickname Penny, but i was hoping to get a creamy colored (or white, sinse it means pearl) rat to name that. Sinse they were both black, i didn't think the name would fit.

sinse she doesnt really come to her name at all yet (all she responds to is "Nummies!" which is what i sing to them before i feed them), i was wondering if it would just confuse her to change it. I know it would confuse my hubby :p but ya know. Maybe she'll grow into her name...

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I change names when I get rehomed rats or shelter rats and they don't really know their name anyways. I always wait until I have the rat, can observe them and figure out their personality, before naming. But since your girls have only been around for a month, I would think changing them would be fine :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My boys all answer to their nicknames, which is about all the changing I've done...

Baba instead of Bacardi... Perry instead of Pernod... Guinea instead of Guinness, Ducky instead of Puck...

Not much change! :lol:

I don't like to change names...

But I give a plethora of nicknames instead. :lol:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with changing names. My rat Sakura was called Stinky by my sister and her boyfriend until I took her in ^^; For a while I considered changing Coconut's name to something else, but I never did. If she doesn't already know her name, and there's something that fits her better, go for it! :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've never done it with a rat, but I have with my horse. Her name was Filly and I changed it to Razzberry. I don't think she knew her former name, but she certainly knows her new one!

If your rat does know her old name you can change it like you can change a dogs, by combining the original name and the new one (like Spike-Rufus). Eventually the dog (or rat) will learn that both are their names and you can just drop the old one.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I sometimes have nicknames. Gregor came to that, and also to his full name, "Gregor Samsa," but he was exceptionally intelligent. I taught both Augustus and Buscemi their full names first, but I think they may have forgotten the long names, because now I call them "Gus" and "Boo." Those are good, because I can say them over and over again, in one breath: Booboobooboobooboo!

Buscemi picked his name, or, rather, he BEGGED me not to call him what he was going to be called. Augustus is named for Caesar, of course, and I was going to call Buscemi "Octavian," an earlier great Caesar. (This would leave room, later on, for "Julian" or "Julius.") But I got Boo at four or five weeks old, and he was so tiny and fuzzy, he just seemed to be saying, "Please don't give me a big, long complicated name! I'm little!" It took me awhile to "find" his name. He was almost "Mr. Pink," but finally, I named him after the actor who had played Mr. Pink.

Maybe someday, I'll meet "Octavian," but Boo isn't him. :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
jorats said:
A new name for a new life.
Exactly.

That's what I thought when I 'rescued' my boy 'Leo. He was named Rippipin (sp?), but I thouht he deserved a new and better name for his new and better life, thus Takeo. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts