Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evy has lost the use of her hind legs. I've kind of seen it progress over the past few weeks, but it really did not show until a few days ago after I had to put Toast down. She has almost completely lost the use of her hind legs. Everything else is still okay. She still plays, comes for treats, wants to cuddle, and grooms everyone. She just grows tired a little more quickly and needs to rest more often because I don't think she has that much muscle in her front paws yet. Her tail and her legs are just very floppy and drag around. I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue with any of their rats and what I can do to make her more comfortable. I am going to be adding an extra food bowl for her, and I'm going to bring the hammocks a little closer to the edges so that she can get in easier. I am also going to be adding some more blankets in to the hide outs I have on each level for her just to make her more comfortable. I was also wondering if anyone has ever constructed a little chart or knows how to construct one? I think this may make it a little easier to get around when free ranging. I'm kind of glad I have a thick carpet in my room. At least she will not get cold during free range time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi there, I am having a similar problem with my Petrie. He just turned 2 last month. I noticed he was dragging his tail and was swaying a bit while walking, it has progressed over the past few weeks. He has trouble getting around his big cage so i went in and rearranged everything. He still seems happy and curious but walks around with a big swagger. He seemed much happier when i rearranged the cage and bottles.
If your ratter seems happy, i would say you're doing pretty good! Watch her hygiene, regular wipedowns might be a good idea if she isnt getting to the box so easily anymore.
Curious to see what others post, I need some advice too.
Good luck with everything!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I was on vacation for a few days and did not get a chance to respond so quickly. She is definetely still her old self, minus the hind legs. I cleaned the cage today and gave her a bath because she was super dirty. She can't really clean herself anymore so I guess I'll be doing that for her. I did notice that she lost nearly all of the muscle in her back legs, making her rear end look a little thin. She's still eating her Oxbow normally though. I even gave her some baby food just in case. I think I might have a slight idea when it comes to making a little chart for her. I just don't know what to use as wheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't worry too much. My rat Commodore is coming around to three years old and a couple months ago he started losing control of his back legs. He was having some difficulty so I took off the ramp to the top level. One day I came home and he had managed to climb up there using his igloo - there really is no stopping them. Over time he has lost almost all use of his back legs. But he still gets around and gets stronger everyday. The other day he was using the cage bars to stand up to beg for food. His front legs are starting to adapt. And he's still keeping himself rather clean. Keep doing what you're doing, and I think she'll be just fine without the cart.

Wipe downs are good, but don't go nuts. You don't want to get them anymore wet than they would get themselves. Having a one story cage will help too. I would get some more water bottles and just scatter them about in cage she gets thirsty anywhere she may be. Also, she might need more food since she's having to work harder to get around. Commodore is eating just as much but he's lost a bit of weight. I'm going to start him on a baby food regime soon. Also, watch for bloody pee. If she has to pee while laying down she might not get it all out and that can cause a UTI or bladder infection. If you see bloody pee take her to the vet!

Most of all just give her lots of love and treats to make her old age fun. :)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice! The cart is just going to be for free range time. She really enjoyed running and chasing after everyone, but her legs make that a little impossible now. I have two water bowls on seperate levels of the cage, as well as an extra food bowl for her. The only place she can't get to is the very top of the cage. If worse comes to worse I'll rearrange the cage so that there's a water and food bowl at the very bottom level. I have ladders to make it easier for her.

I did also trim her nails and clean her ears yesterday. I don't want her accidentally hurting herself with her back claws or getting caught on my carpet with her back claws. I cleaned her ears because rats usually clean their ears with their back legs to get the wax out. I'm not going to go overboard with washing her since she is a hairless rat and I don't want her skin to dry out. =P

1 - 5 of 5 Posts