Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have male rat that seems to be grooming his genitals a lot more as of late and for longer, and I noticed that he also seems to be squeaking more (at times) as he does so. He has always squeaked some while grooming down there, but there's been a few times now where he's squeaked considerably more, and louder. I've checked his genitals and I can see nothing, feel nothing, and there's no odor from what I can tell. He also doesn't seem to be any more sensitive to touch or pressure than normal.

So should I be concerned?

He is a year and 11 months for the record.

Thanks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
He could have a urinary tract infection. UTIs are commonly associated with excessive licking of the area (because it's painful) and vocalization.

You can ask your vet for an empty syringe without the needle. Wait until your rat has been asleep for a little while, and then wake him up from his nap and immediately move him to the floor covered by a plastic trash bag. He'll urinate, and you can suck it up with the syringe and bring it to your vet for a urinalysis.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I won't be able to get to a vet until early next week or possibly this weekend. In the meantime, is there something I can give him or do for him that might help? If it is in fact a UTI.

·
Registered
745 Posts
There are medications that can help with pain that you can buy over the counter, I'm just very reluctant to recommend them unless you've got a 1cc syringe and a current weight so I can be sure you get the dose right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts