Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've new to the site, so please forgive me if i have posted a really obvious question or something. my rat is almost 2 yrs old (is that old in rat years?) and has recently started sneezing excessively and most of the time wheezes when she's breathing, epspecially when sleeping. it's a bit like a snore. ive heard about myro or something like that but i don't know what it is, and also, i'm in australia. in aust there aren't any vets (near me) who know how to treat rats. there policy is pretty much 'put down'. not that i am thinking of doing that! but if there is a medicine available in aust that you can just buy through vets and administer yourself, or any diet tips, i would be very grateful for any advice!

PS is it normal for snot to be reddish?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome to the forums, annasap.

Rat's generally live 2-3 years, so your girl is getting on a bit in ratty years. I'll let others advise you on this, as I am only just getting to having a two year old myself, but there are things you can do to help her. The "snot" is called porphyrin, and it is normal for it to be red, yes.

I'm sure someone will be along with some useful info for you soon. I would keep looking for a vet, though, as it sounds like your girl needs one asap. :?

·
Registered
483 Posts
My sisters rat which I inherited is wheezing and she is on anitbotics--- she is 2 yrs old. After this round of antibotics---we will have to take her to the vet we have picked out for the ones we are getting

1 - 3 of 3 Posts