Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my rats, have gone crazy. They used to be normal, chill rats. Now they fucking tear up the wall behind the cage, literally ripping off the plaster and wallpaper. They also destroyed their hammock which they've never chewed before. I don't understand what changed? I haven't really been spending much time with them, could this be the cause? They keep causing so much damage and my mom if going to get really mad if they become too bad. What should I do?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, not taking them out of the cage can cause them to be destructive because they get bored. I can't spend a ton of time with mine either and they ruin lots of things. Are there apple trees around where you live at all? If so, you could get some twigs, freeze them for 2 days to get rid of any bugs, and give them to them to chew up (they'll probably make a huge mess) ... if not, maybe just buy some wooden products from a pet store for them to chew up! Change up their cage a lot, move things around, keep them occupied in their own cage.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not spending time with them is probably the cause of the destruction. They're bored. If you can't spend time with them for some reason you need to give them LOADS of toys/things to play with. I would suggest getting some thinking toys that require them to move things around to find food. That should help stimulate them a bit.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The smarter animals are, the easier they get bored and the more destructive they get. Try placing cheap scarves or a blanket over the top of the cage so they have something they can destroy.

Please, try however hard you can to take them out more, even if it's just on the bathroom floor while you shower. Wall chewing is very under stimulated behaviour.. Try getting a box and filling it with toilet paper and treats, or putting a flowerpot or plastic cup over favoirite snack. You can also try switching the current toys around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts