Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Within the past day, my eldest rat Ginny has not been opening her right eye completely. I noticed it yesterday but decided not to be too worried thinking it was just the eye "Sticking" after a long sleep, but it's still there and there is no sign of any foreign objects in her eye. Besides the normal bit of porphyrin (Spelling?) that is normally present in both eyes and sometimes a bit on her nose. (She's always had quite an excess of it since she was a baby) She doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort when I run my hand over the eye area. But she simply just isn't opening it fully. It you were to look at just the one eye it would seem as though she is very sleepy. Could this be a sign of an eye infection? Last week I believe Ginny had a seizure. (I posted about it) It's concerning to me that this is the same side of the body that Ginny seemed to be falling over on? Could this be related? Also, the rats cage is in desperate need of a clean. (Cage cleaning day is tomorrow) Could just the dirty cage be aggravating the eye? Any advice is welcomed! Thankyou!! -Jessica

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Given that this follows the tilt behavior/clumsiness, I would think maybe an ear infection would be a possibility. It could be a sign of illness, excess porphyrin. Can you wipe the eye off to inspect it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I just went in to check in on her, her eye was quite clean but she was very squirmy and resisting to let me look at her eye. I eventually got her to stay still enough to look at her eye. Her actual eye looks ok. The surrounding area looks a tiny bit redder than normal. While looking at her eye I took a glance into her ear. The right ear is DEFINITELY redder than the left on the inside. It also seemed kinda "oily". . It now seems as though this whole seizure/ eye infection deal may just be an ear infection. I feel really bad that i didn't notice this earlier.. Where do i go from here?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the article! Just a few questions: Will this require a vet visit/examination? or just a purchase of the medication? What is the (Ballpark) cost of these medications? This is the first time I have ever needed to take one of my ratties to the vet so any advice is greatly appreciated! Oh and most importantly... Is this contagious to my other ratties!? Seeing as though this infection could almost be a week old, I would say no but I would like a more experienced ratties parents's opinions than my own. :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I have never heard of it being contagious. Generally, you will not be prescribed any medication without a vet visit for liability reasons. Cost depends, for me a visit is $70, and medicine runs around $20. Some areas are saturated with exotic vets and are cheaper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was just comparing her symptoms to those in the article and I can clearly see now that he right eye is definitely recessed back compared to the left. OK, thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind. I will have to go ahread and schedule a vet appointment. Unfortunately, my vet is closed tomorrow. (Being Sunday and the Superbowl) But I will make it as soon as possible. Thank you for your help! I will keep this page updated as she recovers!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Good luck to you both! Glad it wasn't seizures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts