Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yesterday I went to petsmart to pick up some cages for my litter of babies when I decided to look at the rats. Normally petsmart here only sells boy rats as pets, and the very few that I've gotten their have been healthy. The tanks are cleaned and stink free plus they have wheels in each of their rat cages. The reason I do this is because where i live there are no breeders/rat rescues in my area Well anyway I seen a couple that I thought would be sweet enough of be a good cage mate for my rascal soooo I asked to see them up close. The guy took me in to their pet area and I was aloud to pick up the 2-3 month old babies. As I started looking and holding each one I noticed that many had a glossy cloudy eye. My question would be is that a sign that they are blind? I was very upset that these babies were in that kind of condition and the guy was very much surprised that we had found several rats with this eye condition and that no one had put them in the sick room to be evaluated. Anyway that's all of that. I know that people aren't vets but I also know that their are a lot of rat owners that must at one point in time run across stuff like this. Their knowledge/advice would be helpful. I am merley courious and concerened about the babies that they may or may not be able to fix.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Cataracts, blindness, mishappen lens... in general there's nothing to be done for it and it doesn't bother the rats too much.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If they babies are young, and the problem is evident in multiple rats, I'd say it's a genetic deformity.

Blind rats are live perfectly normal lived though. I knew a rat who was born with no eyes at all, and you couldn't tell her from her sisters the way she climbed and played. :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
rats don't really rely mush on their eyesight to begin with and if they were babies born with the problem they would never know the difference anyway. but even with older rats that lose their sight later on i've never noticed any change in their abilities to move around. eyesight really doesn't matter much to rats.

as for what it could be i would agree with Icelore for the same reasons, it's probably just a genetic deformity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts