Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl Cassie is having some eye trouble. I'm calling the vet back tomorrow for an appointment but would love some input here!

A couple of weeks ago she started squinting. When she was squinting she would stay in bed but then she'd come out and her eyes would be almost normal. I had my other girl at the vets and mentioned the probem. She said to give both girls the baytril prescribed for Maisie.

Cassie has now got much worse. She spends a lot of time on her hammock squinting and cleaning. She's always had thin fur but now has two bald patches on her back form over grooming, which I think is from stress? She will still act her self when she comes down. She's eating and playing still. The eyes look normal, no clouding, except for they're a bit watery sometimes.

I think it's an eye infection of some kind. Please let me know if you have any idea what it could be or if you think she can get better. Like I said I'm making a vet appointment tomorrow. She seems to have got worse today. She's not eaten her baby food yet which she notmally gets straight away.

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Is there any red stuff around the eyes or soreness (makes the lids look pinker than normal skin) on the lids. If not and the eye ball itself looks clean and shiny then this isnt an eye infection, if it is then baytril will do nothing for it. You want antibiotic eye drops

its possible that she isnt feeling well at all. Is she eating normally and is her weight good? Also put her in a tank or carrier with white kitchen role on the floor until she urinates and check the colour is normal. I would probably ask for a urine dip stick test at the vets to see if anything obvious is going on.

How old is she?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you!

No redness. I'll attach a picture to show this. She's quieter than usual but when she comes round from being quiet she's 100% herself. The quietness could be a sign she's not feeling great. She's always been a hoarder but she seems to be eating normally. They've been getting their Baytril in baby food and she laps it up. I do think she's hoarding less so I am seeing her eat at her food bowl more often.

She's peed on a white plate the other day (to tell me she was angry it didn't have food on I think) and it seemed normal but I'll ask the vet.

Shes 1 year and 10 months. Her sister is unwell too, she has a swollen lymph node.

Forgot to mention, I haven't noticed a change in weight. She's always been thinner and more active than her sister but I think she's a good weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts