Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my rats to a park today, and they swam around in some water.
Murlow's eyes are now kind bulging out of his head, out of the five of them he is the only one having the issue.
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about this, as I'm unable to take him to the vet. I'm thinking the water has caused a reaction of some sort.

Side note: The water was not stagnant.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm looking now, and seeing that Choo Choo, Mur, and Burbie's eyes are swelling. They're all my white rats, the coloured rats are not having any issues. Coincidence?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This morning, it appears as though less of the tissue at the corner of Murlow's eyes are swollen, not covering his eyes as much. But his poor little cheeks look very swollen.
Murlow continues to look worse than Choo and Burbie.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hopefully it is nothing serious. If you still can't get them to the vet, maybe let them swim around in the bath tub to kinda clean them off a bit. Not so much an actual bath but more of a rinse.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is probably not helpful; but it sounds like your white rats have seasonal allergies! My eyes swell when I'm outside in all this pollen and whatnot... Hope they feel better soon, and that you guys get to go to the park many times in the future!

·
Registered
187 Posts
If it was a fountain, they could be irritated by the chlorine and other chemicals. If not, then they may very well have seasonal allergies, or there could have been some sort of organism in the water that's irritating their skin and eyes. I'd go to the vet and get them checked if this continues. Worst case scenario, your vet will probably give them some antibiotics. To help with irritation, I would make a pad out of a green tea bag with a drop of colloidal silver. I saw it on youtube and have been dying to try it. If you don't have the silver, just wetting the tea bag with lukewarm water and patting it around the eye (not directly in it, just around it) can help reduce inflammation and is very soothing. Here's the video for how to make it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S3Rbww4NOw

I've also been told that there's a saline mist solution that's for babies that can be used around the eyes and nose and is very soothing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oh, it's also possible they could have pink eye. It can be transmitted from humans to rats and from rats to each other, etc. For that you will definitely need to get to a vet to get antibiotics, because pink eye spreads like wildfire and you could get it, too. Besides that, untreated pink eye could result in really really really bad damage to their eyes. I never knew how true it was, but I was always told as a kid that I had to take my antibiotic eye drops when I had it (I hated taking eye drops) because conjunctivitis can cause you to lose an eye if the infection gets too bad.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input so far, guys.
I don't think it's pink eye, to be honest. The five of them are together constantly, so if it were pink eye, wouldn't they all have it by now? Nixon and Reubin are unaffected.
This was Mur lastnight
View attachment 209802
This is him now
View attachment 209810

It appears as though there has been some improvement since lastnight. Mostly in his left eye, which you are unable to see. There is significantly less swollen tissue on that side. Once my dumb computer is done doing updates, I'll post another photo from lastnight, and one from now where you can tell his head is swollen.

The other photos are much better, don't know why I didn't post them to begin with!
Also, it wasn't a fountain or anything. It was a river.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the other photo from lastnight
Mammal Gerbil Rat Muridae Rodent

And this is his head tonight
Nose Whiskers Cat Snout Ear

I would take them to the vet if I could, but I only get fifty dollars every Friday, and my boyfriend only makes $300 each week, and 80% of that goes to his car. I wouldn't be able to take just Mur in and get him treated, let alone the three that are having this problem. :(

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just cleaned off Mur's eye, porphyrin was all around it, I freaked out a bit at first. From far away it looked like he was missing his eye! I was concerned because this is, surprisingly, the first time I've seen it since these eye issues began yesterday afternoon. So I was thinking it's suddenly gotten much worse, but I realized he had been getting into a bag of sweet chili heat Doritos just prior, now I'm thinking because that eye is worse, the sweet chili heat seasoning irritated it further. The left eye was perfectly fine. (Aside from the slight swelling that is, there was just no porphyrin.)

I feel so bad... I wish I hadn't have taken them to the park, I bet that's why we're having such issues..

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully people don't mind my frequent updatig.

He's looking a lot better today, his right eye now looks like his left did lastnight. I can still see a little bit of swelling in the tissue at the corner of his eye, and his head is still pretty round.
He hasn't acted any different since it started.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not that any of you care, clearly. xD But Mur is looking just fine today, his eye is looking all better!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dont take it personal if people don't respond quickly. It isn't really a blog people go on every single day ;)
I'm happy your rats are doing better! Sounds really scary!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't worry, I know better than to get offended.;p Just goes to show my lack of a life, lool..

But yes it was a little scary! I'm very glad it was nothing serious, I don't know what I would have done!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts