Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So my rat Quan woke up with her right eye stuck shut. I don't know why this happened and I am slightly worried, mostly because I don't know what caused it. I am wondering if I should take her to the vet for a possible eye infection, and if so then should I take my other girl as well. They are both a little over a year old I think. Also if the Vet does give me meds for them then would it be oral antibiotics or eye drops or what?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If the eye is still crusted shut, use a q-tip with warm water to help it open and clean around it. It could just be that she got something in it that irritated the eye. It could also be something like a scratch or worst case an infection. I'd clean it up and see what it looks like tomorrow, if it's still crusting shut or you can see visible trauma to the eye, definitely take her to the vet. They'll likely give you an ophthalmic antibiotic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
kksrats is right, but also keep in mind that some times eye crust just happens and I've had healthy rats wake up with an eye they can't open because of sleep. A q-tip, or even clean water on your thumb and gently rub over the eye to lossen up the crust, but if it's really really crusty, or if the eye looks hurt, see the vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts