Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi one of my rats Peanut is acting very strange the last 2 weeks or so. In the beginning i heard my rats "fighting" the whole time and squeaking very loud, i noticed that it looked peanut wanted all the food for herself. When Smeagol came close to the platform where the food bowl is on Peanut would chase her back into the sputnik up to the point where Smeagol almost wouldn't leave the sputnik.

Now this morning i came downstairs and i always check my ratties first and Peanut had put all the newspaper that lies in their basket ( they seem to like newspaper to lie on ) on the platform and she is dragging all the bedding up there too. So i think she is nesting ?

I don't know if they can get a false pregnancy but this was the first thing that came up to me.

Oh she has also gained 20 grams in 2 weeks ( from 280 g to 300 g ) but she always was the small one of the two, while Smeagol has not gained wheight ans weighs 298 grams.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Rats nest. Many rats will just naturally nest and make themselves comfy beds. Doesn't mean anything. Not all rats do it but IME most females will when given stuff to nest with.

How long have you had your rats? Are you sure they are both female? How old are they?

She could just be eating alot of food and gaining alot of weight. I'd definitely give them two different food dishes to prevent fighting over it. I would place them on opposite sides/levels of the cage. Multiple water bottles as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have them for about 3 months and a half, they are now almost 5 months old. I'm sure they are both females yes.
I actually put a second food bowl in the cage this week but didn't seem to help much.

It's strange but i didn't see them fighting anymore since yesterday, Peanut seems to be alot calmer also. It looked like she was almost opsessed with her food and wanted to guard it. Now they even sleep together on the platform where the food bowl is and she isn't nesting anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts