Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been so focused on Remus pneumonia I have admittedly not paid as close attention to the others as I could have.

Iris has two lumps above her left leg and one is black. These are mammary lumps according to the vet. Since we found them in October, they've now become the size of a Ping pong ball and she's having trouble.

Not only can she not completely move that leg, to groom herself she is wedging herself in a corner and bracing against the bars. I believe this is more to do with the lump than her arthritis but it could be a combination.

I had a thread about when to let go and I guess I'm just looking for affirmation that now is not the time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If she were my rat, I'd go for surgery as long as she is in good health otherwise. A rat has only a four percent chance of dying under anethesia if they're healthy. Besides, if you're thinking of euthanizing, passing while under for surgery would also be painless according to my vet. With mu Cookie, who had two large tumors, the vet was hesitant to operate but euthanizing was the only other option. I chose to take the chance and Cookie is alive and healthy months later.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, Iris is about three and has already undergone one surgery to remove lumps in her urethra and be spayed. Plus, I thibk the black one is malignant so I'm hesitant to remove it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.