Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So recently I've been seeing that Merry is getting big and heavy, while Pippin is staying pretty small and light. They are the same age and when i got them in July they were both the same size. Today was mine and my boyfriend's day off and we noticed that Merry will run up and try to steal the food right out of Pippin's hands, resulting in lots of squeaks from little Pippin. So I'm thinking this is happening often and Pippin isn't getting as much food as Merry. Any advice on how to make Merry less food aggressive or get Pippin to bulk up?
Other info:
They free feed Oxbow all day.
They have two bowls on the different layers of the DCN that I top off in the morning before work and in the evening when I get home.
They don't empty the bowls often.
Neither of them hoard food.
Pippin has been scratched rather deep by Merry twice, once in a playfight (Merry's back claws had gotten pretty long and sharp) and once in a dispute over a nylabone treat.
Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
If you see your rats fighting you can break them up, but in all reality, like people some rats get really big while others stay rather petite. It likely has nothing to do with how much food is available in your situation.

Our largest girl rat was nearly a foot long, stretched out, not counting the tail and our heaviest girl made about 28 oz while our smallest girl never made it much over six or seven inches and about 10 oz...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts