Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit, one of my rats(male) is getting really fat. His diet is basically just a seed mix and the occasional treat. He gets an hour out of the cage each day, but instead of running around like my other rats, he cleans himself the whole time. How do I make him exercise? Is his diet alright?
Thanks!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Squeak said:
I have to admit, one of my rats(male) is getting really fat. His diet is basically just a seed mix and the occasional treat. He gets an hour out of the cage each day, but instead of running around like my other rats, he cleans himself the whole time. How do I make him exercise? Is his diet alright?
Thanks!
Seed mixes are just chock full of fat and bad things and a very unbalanced diet as they can pick what they want out of it. Can you switch him to lab blocks instead? And supplement with a lot of veggies.

How old is your boy anyways? Often the boys slow down a lot and getting them to lose weight can be a challenge since they seem allergic to exercise. First thing though is his diet, it has to be changed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My boys are about 5 months, so their not really that old yet.
Where can you get lab blocks? Pet shops? Breeders?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Breeders, rescues, online...

How much does he weigh? Do you have a photo of him?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not exactly sure what his weight his, but I will check as soon as possible!
What is the best type of lab block to get?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi! I used to have very fat rats when I was feeding them a Suebee's mix and dog food. They were also very undernourished. But then I switched to a good quality lab block: Harlan Teklad and Oxbow Regal Rat. All my rats are now slender and active. For my older rats, I like to give them extra like baby cereal as well.
Kim's Ark sells Harlan online. http://www.kimsarkrescue.org/
Here's the site for Regal Rat: http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showProduct.sp?PRODUCT_NO=75

When giving rats a staple diet, or just any food, keep in mind: low fat, low protein, no salt and no sugar.

At first they may be upset at the change in diet but do offer daily fresh veggies, rats looooove those. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked all over local breeders and rescues but I just couldn't find those recommended lab blocks (Harlan Teklad and Oxbow Regal Rat). So as I came across another local breeder she sold a seed mix to me (It's called Tropical Carnival Gourmet Food.) Before I bought it I read the information on the back. It said there were sources of Vitamin K, C, E and D in it and loads of other stuff like Whole-grain Peas, Almonds,Banana Chips, Carrots, Raisins, salt and heaps more. I thought I might try it on the ratties and so I did. They sniffed it, then walked away. Do you think they just need time to get used the the change of food? Or is the mix just useless? I'm not sure about it because it says Food and Treat all-in-one on the front. Does this mean I shouldn't give it to them?
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
What else is in the mix? Corn, alfalfa, sunflower seeds, etc?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would just use that as an occasional snack. But it seems they don't like it much anyway.

You could order Harlan blocks online or ask that breeder to start stocking them.

And I know I can get some at a local reptile show. Of course you have to deal with there being feeder rats on display and I never personally have gone for lab blocks but my dad gets them there.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They have started eating it now and it looks like their rather enjoying it. It does have banana chips, raisins etc jorats. So can you order Harlan blocks online?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've stopped giving Tropical Carnival Gourmet Food now. I am so unprepared! I need to give them something else but I have absolutely nothing else. Are there any other recommended lab blocks that you can find in Australia? (I live in Australia). I'm rather deperate now, but I just can't find anything!

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you can't find a good quality block, then you could go with the Suebee's mix, try and substitute with your brand and a low protein, low fat high quality dog food and offer lots green veggies daily.

When looking at food for rats, remember low fat and low protein.
Another thing you could try, if you have a university or science institution that deals with rats, you could call them and find out what blocks they feed their rats and where do they get them. If you can find a distributor for Harlan Teklad or even PMI labdiet, that would be better.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went shopping for about a day for good quality rat food and finally found one. Thanks for the tips everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts