Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 boys are quite big. They're just over a year old and Snufkin weighs 572g, Gizmo weighs 598g and Havok weighs 682g! I've always read online not to schedule feed them, just keep them with a constant supply of food. What I tend to do is give them a mixture of different fruit and veg every morning and then some dry food at night, least then they always have food but not just the dry food (which is what's obviously fattening them up). My boys don't tend to run around much when I have them out, they'd rather sit on me and sleep than run around and burn off some calories.

Should I start giving them a specific amount of food daily till they shed the pounds?
Or is there something else I could do to help them loose weight?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i definitely don't recommend adlib feeding, especially for boys. It does tend to lead to fat rats and there's a number of studies that show a starve period (that's a period of time when no food is available) can improve lifespan significantly. i feed my guys once or twice a day with enough food to keep then the right shape for thete size. Whilst my boys are a similar weight to yours they are big breeder bucks and slim with good muscle and minimal fat. i judge the right amount by starting at about 15 to 25g per rat per day then giving it a week or two and monitoring how they get on. Ideally they should have at least 4 hours a day with no food available.

If you pair this approach with scatter feeding, which means hiding or scattering the food around the cage, it helps stop one rat hogging the food and keeps them busy and entertained

·
Registered
219 Posts
What lab block are they on? The dry food, I mean. You could also try limiting fruit to every other day or only 2 days a week. Are you feeding healthy veggies?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snufkin and Gizmo visually dont seem too fat, they're boarder line pear shape. Havok on the other hand is certainly pear shape! Do you also have a lab block/give them fruit and veg?
I tried scatter feeding about 6 months into having them and that seemed to be when they started putting on weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What lab block are they on? The dry food, I mean. You could also try limiting fruit to every other day or only 2 days a week. Are you feeding healthy veggies?
The dry food is a home made mix I found and adapted online to make it less fattening (my breeder approved it knowing my boys needed to loose weight).
The fruit and veg changes daily so they dont get bored of the same veg day in and out. It varies from carrots, banana, peas, kale, sweetcorn, pepper, kiwi, grapes, apple, broccoli... that's what I can think off the top of my head!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
is that the Shunamite diet by any chance?

If you feed too much scatter feeding won't help them lose weight. You need to restrict the amount to do that.

You can also increase the amount of exercise they do too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is that the Shunamite diet by any chance?

If you feed too much scatter feeding won't help them lose weight. You need to restrict the amount to do that.

You can also increase the amount of exercise they do too
The mix I use is-
9 scoops - Banana Bunch
1 scoop - Science selective rat nuggets
1 scoop - dog kibble
1/2 scoop - porridge oats
1/2 scoop - pasta
2 plain rice cakes
2 plain ryvitas
1 scoop - mini shredded wheat (plain)
2 scoops - pigeon moulting mix

I've been looking into playpens for them since we recently moved and now my room has carpet and the parents obviously dont want it stained/stinking of rat pee. Annoyingly most the runs/playpens I keep finding are fabric which they'll chew through or the gaps between the bars are too wide. So this current situation doesnt help much

·
Registered
425 Posts
you can make a playpen out of those corrugated science fair presentation boards and some binder clips, then you can just fold the boards up and store them when you aren't using the playpen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts