Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi allI'm hoping someone can help me. I have two rats that are both very fat and I am struggling to know how to diet them and how much I should be feeding them etc.If anyone has any info or advice on the topic I would greatly appreciate it!!!Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have two fat rats and four skinny ones. The fat ones are big ol' lazy neutered males. They have to wheels in their cage--they sleep in them.

One of my other males got fat after the loss of his cagemate, but he learned to run on a wheel and has lost weight. So I dunno how to entice the other two into wheels.

Looking forward to hearing input from others. My rats eat oxbow that is supplemented with fresh banana, blueberries, or frozen peas (one supplemental food per day).

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Fat rats are a problem, but the answer isn't as simple as diet. We had a part wild rat that very possibly was a breeder cull, in any event she was brought into the pet shop and dumped into a feeder bin where we found her... She porked up to all of 10 oz and then dropped back down to 8. She was actually a normal size rat, but overall she was sleek and stayed that way. Our other feeder bin refugees were bred by commercial breeders and they grew faster and got fat. Feeder rats are sold by size and weight and breeders select those rats that get portly because there's more profit in them. Usually the broader a rats shoulders are the more portly it's going to get. We adopted another breeder cull that got huge, but never fat. Much of the problem with fat rats is genetics, more than it's diet.

Lots of exercise will help to a point, one of our meat rats would run at heel at the park and we would take her outside and she would run around for hours every day, she kept fairly trim until winter came and then she porked up.

We tried switching to the oxbow regal rat for adult rats and she ate 3 times as much of it as compared to the higher protein product.

Keep in mind that a healthy diet will help every rat and exercise and calorie control can help, but to a large degree most fat rats are genetically predisposed to be that way and starving them can do harm as well as good.

Fuzzy Rat and Fluffy
Rat Muridae Rodent Muroidea Gerbil

Fuzzy Rat was a bred for meat rat, this photo was taken before she porked up she's a trim and lean 12 oz (she porked up to about 21 oz later in life... see avatar photo). The smaller rat was actually about the same length, but she was part wild and even though she was about 3 months older she stayed around 8 oz eating the same diet.

Here's another photo taken around the same time, you can see neither rat was actually thin or obese, and how similar they were in length, but you can also see the different bone structure in terms of body width and shape.

Face Nose Eyebrow Cheek Head

At this point both rats were at a good body weight for what they were.

Keeping your rats at a healthy weight is important, but keep in mind some rats are just designed to get fatter than others... And starving them to death isn't a good idea either.

Best luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts