Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to rats what's your favorite color? Mine would have to be russian or american blue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a thing for white and grey rats, they are adorable! Blues, roans, merle, they're all great.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Having had such a rainbow of rats, I can't really decide on a color. My little boy, Albus, has taught me that even plain old PEWs can be amazing.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's hard for me to say... I adore black selfs, so probably black. I also love gray colors though... Maybe I'm biased though, since those are the only colors I've seen in real life yet. (And both of my babies are black and blue hoodeds XDD)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I always wanted a PEW. Now I have one. Now I want a double rex. Guess that isn't a color. I also want a beige/orange shade of rat eventually.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm the type who's so indiscriminate--I will love any rat who comes my way, and I only adopt rescues so I tend not to see the rarer/fancier colors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hedgian, here is a squishy Russian blue for you to drool over. I love his colour, but would like an agouti self or berkshire next; I like the natural look!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I adore a good agouti (which is good as i get a lot of them in my lines lol), the ticking, pale creamy belly and real firey chestnut colour is something special. I also think its one of those colours which works very well with pretty much any other vartiety, so marked agoutis are lovely, agouti dumbos are really special, it really suits essex and enhances the look of rex fur. Not to mention that mixiing it with other colours often gives a lovely effect e.g. i prefer topaz to buff and silver agouti to martin

I do love silvered black too, the ones that are so deep black and silvered they look like the night sky on a clear night, or a starling.

My final love is russian blue, i love the warmth of the blue and actually quite like the heathered affect, plus a proper russian coat is goregous and thick.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I really have a thing for albinos, to be honest. I know most people don't like them because of the "red" eyes, but I just find albino members of any species so lovable. lawl

I used to not like the look of two-toned rats, but when I got link and Amadeus (one black-hooded and one brown-hooded) I fell in love with them and am now inclined to fawn over rats of any colour variation. c:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't know if I have a favorite color, though I am kind of partial to black. May-May is a black berkshire and her little chin is white. It's so cute. I think agouti is lovely. Mostly I am partial to dumbos and rex. The big ears and the curly whiskers just get me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
(Psst just so you know, I don't think you are using the word "partial" correctly.)Yeah, the combination of dumbo and rexis friggin adorable. Definitely the cutest rat variety!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I like the Siamese markings. I like lighter colored rats more than darker ones. That didn't stop me from adopting a black variegated one a few weeks ago!

·
Registered
601 Posts
(Psst just so you know, I don't think you are using the word "partial" correctly.)Yeah, the combination of dumbo and rexis friggin adorable. Definitely the cutest rat variety!
Being "partial to" something is considered an idiom. It's regional. :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have a siamese, a russian blue hooded, a tan/gray one and a black one. The black one is the hardest to see inside the cage because he blends in with the black plastic flooring in the DCN. My wife says she never wants another black one for that reason alone. The siamese is the coolest looking and has the softest fur. I don't really have a color preference though. I don't really care what they look like as long as they are loving and friendly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like rats that are hooded with a stripe, the sort of stereotypical pet rat. I find that my friends are less scared of them if they have cool markings. I have a very old black rat right now and I don't like her colour because when black rats get old there colour looks gross and thin. Also she looks like a stereotypical sewer rat right now and my friends are scared of her. I like the blonde/beige rats although I've never had one they are super cute. Does anyone else choose new rats to sort of match the ones they already have?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Also did you know rats with red eyes are more likely to have sight issues or become blind?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Its not a color but I'm a total sucker for Dumbos and black eyes. Madihick, I had the total opposite. Nobody wanted to get to know my spoty hooded, Loki. Every one wanted to meet my Lighter Nimbus or "Oh, well the white one's cute" when i showed pictures. One person told me it was because Loki looked more "rat like" while Nimbus was of course a rat, didn't look like one (?)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts