Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm extremely confused rn...

So my rats' poops are usually squishy and the stinkiest things on earth(not really tho, just very stinky) I first didn't think it was anything because these are my first ever rats and I didn't know any better.

Anyway, Dubs's new favorite thing is pooping on me (which ofc I don't appreciate, but what can ya do?) and I've noticed that when he poops he chatters(Eugene does this too) This is a new thing, they haven't been chattering while pooping before. Well, his poop STINKS, and if it really is fear poop then explain this to me: My rats are always itching to be with me, give me kisses 24/7(not kidding, 2 4 / 7) Chatter when they hear my voice(and it's not fear because they are running up to the bars of the cage to see me while they do it)

So ofc, I am extremely confused rn. Could it be stress? Dubs is a bit of a bully to Eugene, but why would Dubs have fear poops in that case? Dubs and Eugene's relationship is a bit complicated, they fight a lot but are sleeping together rn on my bed like dolls rn 馃槏 They look INCREDIBLY sweet!!
< I tried to get a picture but they moved TvT
(But since they are only 3 months old I'm not going to worry about the tiny bit of bullying because they are still young and haven't quite figured out who's in charge)

Or is it that they don't have proper food that fits them? I was accidentally feeding them adult rat food when I should have been feeding them something else 馃槥 , don't worry I order the right food and it should get here soon!! I feel so bad knowing my babies weren't getting the right stuff 馃槚

If you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask, I want the best I can give for my lil ratties

Registered
Boba, Theo and Diego
It's perfectly fine to feed young rats adult rat food after they've reached about 3 months of age. My boys hated Oxbow Young Adult so I slowly switched them over to Oxbow Adult rat food which they prefer much more now. Rat poo when fresh can definitely smell pretty gross but as long as you're feeding them a proper diet, not giving them any human food treats (besides fruit, vegetables, yogurt and a non excessive amount of baby food) and their poops don't seem to be more like diarrhea then they seem fine. I doubt it's fear poops but as they are only three months they just might not be used to being out of their cage and free roaming yet so make sure that you give them the option to be in their cage during free roam time if they choose to.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's perfectly fine to feed young rats adult rat food after they've reached about 3 months of age. My boys hated Oxbow Young Adult so I slowly switched them over to Oxbow Adult rat food which they prefer much more now. Rat poo when fresh can definitely smell pretty gross but as long as you're feeding them a proper diet, not giving them any human food treats (besides fruit, vegetables, yogurt and a non excessive amount of baby food) and their poops don't seem to be more like diarrhea then they seem fine. I doubt it's fear poops but as they are only three months they just might not be used to being out of their cage and free roaming yet so make sure that you give them the option to be in their cage during free roam time if they choose to.
Ok, thanks! I'll give them that option!! :)

(Plus not the back of the Oxbow bag it says that it is not recommended that you use the adult food for rats under 6 months, so I'm just going to follow that, and switch them back once their older ;))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts