Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have just created my very first website ;D and would like to get some feedback on whether it is simple enough to navigate and if the layout works ok. All feedback, both good and bad, would be extremely appreciated as I would like to improve it as much as possible :)

Not sure if this is allowed on here and if its not then I'm really sorry.

http://herefordmouseandrattery.weebly.com/

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sorry cant talk about intentional breeding here and most will say you cant breed without a mentor. Contact your local breeder and see if they are willing to take students.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think the layout is lovely and it's really easy to navigate. I think you should add some information about caring for rats (food, habitat, play time, health etc), because not everybody that comes across breeders knows what they're doing and it could save you a lot of hassle. Plus I think the colour scheme may be a bit too girly? I think you should go for something more neutral :) the talking and advertising about intentional breeding is not allowed, so I wouldn't post about your Rattery again. The ears on those mice are amazing!!! Oh and hello fellow England dweller :D

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Some of the pictures either didn't load or maybe there weren't supposed to be any, my phone is pretty crappy :p I thought it was clean and easy to navigate, though you may want to choose a don't that's easier to read. I could read the site but the curly font got a bit tiring after a bit. Also maybe (if they're not already there) post some pictures of where you house your animals. The thing I'm always skeptical about with breeders is if they're being kept in proper housing or not, and usually the breeders I see in my area never show pictures. So to me that would be reassuring.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Some of the pictures either didn't load or maybe there weren't supposed to be any, my phone is pretty crappy :p I thought it was clean and easy to navigate, though you may want to choose a don't that's easier to read. I could read the site but the curly font got a bit tiring after a bit. Also maybe (if they're not already there) post some pictures of where you house your animals. The thing I'm always skeptical about with breeders is if they're being kept in proper housing or not, and usually the breeders I see in my area never show pictures. So to me that would be reassuring.
I'll agree on more pictures of your set up. When I was doing rescue I had a page that was just pictures of holiday set ups of the cages, playtime pictures which showed all the play rooms. Also any event pictures and pictures of volunteers, which also showed lots of background to the shelter kids set ups. I had a lot of people respond positively because of this. The feel assured if they can see the animals are well cared for, clean and cozy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll agree on more pictures of your set up. When I was doing rescue I had a page that was just pictures of holiday set ups of the cages, playtime pictures which showed all the play rooms. Also any event pictures and pictures of volunteers, which also showed lots of background to the shelter kids set ups. I had a lot of people respond positively because of this. The feel assured if they can see the animals are well cared for, clean and cozy.
True, it's also great inspiration for people visiting!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There isn't a single thing about your lines? I come out knowing nothing about the genetics of the rats you are working with or if you even know what you are doing. I know nothing about where they are kept, what they eat, or any of the basics. Your bios about your current breeders are so generic, I could have written them about your mice aka 'burrow in their substrate.' was the description for three of the mice. To me this gives the impression of not knowing enough about their personalities - i.e. breeders first, pets second. There is also nothing about who has mentored you, what you hope to achieve in terms of bettering the overall lines of your mice/rats and how. You say you are breeding both rats and mice which to me is another no-no since you cannot possibly focus on the health and genetics of two species if you are doing it right - especially without a mentor. Just a total lack of content. Screams backyard breeder to me.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I agree it might be helpful to include more about your knowledge of Genetics, where you got your starter lines from, who you Learned from, stuff like that. Also this part "We are ethical breeders, our does will only be bred twice maximum before retiring to be a much loved family pet unless someone wanted to take her on with some other mice." I was a bit confused, does that mean that your female mice will be bred twice by you, and then after that they EITHER get to be pets, or you'll give them to someone else to who wants to try and breed them some more? Some clarification would be good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts