Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am livid... So I went into feeders today just to see if they had anything new and I was checking out the rats (keep in mind this feeders is only aloud to have boy rats and boy animals unless they are brought in and no longer wanted) and I'm looking at the rats and I see one that's got way more energy than the others and it was running around and eating and trying to play and it was smaller than the others come to find out I sat there for 10 minutes and it was a girl!!! A girl was being kept with a bunch of boys poor things probably pregnant and she only looked about a month old.. I went and told the worker and she said it didn't matter because she was just a feeder and I told the worker that that's wrong and that for the rats best intrest it should be separated from the boys but she did nothing about it

·
Registered
503 Posts
Aaaand that's when I'd be getting a new rattie for my collection. :mad:

Humans are sick animals. :(

·
Registered
503 Posts
Maybe you could post about it on facebook rattie groups or even on the adoption center here? I'm sure it'd tug at least a few heartstrings and someone would be able to help :(

·
Registered
908 Posts
Typically, the workers just don't know. It's the same with fish, birds, etc. They are usually untrained. At my local petco the animal care manager was ticked off because their feeder supplier sent them 2 females along with their shipment of males. She knew enough to pick them out as girls and to separate them, but most workers wouldn't have even noticed. It is likely the supplier's fault for sending a female.

Now, here not separating her out might be a little off, but who knows if they even have supplies / cages / water bottles to do so? I'm not necessarily defending her actions, but giving a possible explanation. Most people don't know nearly as much about rats so you shouldn't exactly expect them to. personally, I think someone working at or running a pet store should know a lot about all the animals there, but when you don't train people, have massive chains, and don't pay people enough to make them want to gain knowledge and stay (making it a career, not a "job") you can't exactly expect stellar performance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is true half the workers there look like they HATE their job.. I was going to apply there and when I do I'll forsure be watching for the females.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not to put down Petco, but I was a companion animal tech at Petco a few years ago. The training isn't all that lacking as long as you actively do the training. I found the lack of care belonged to management. I quit when I was told, in very careful wording, that I needed to stop picking out the ill animals. I was increasing the cost of vet care and we were running out of hospital room. Basically, I was told to just quickly sell the ones that look sick as feeders and stop doing my job (taking care of the companion animals). My manager told me in the hospital room that higher ups were getting mad about paying the hundreds of dollars to fix an animal (mainly rats with UTIs) that cost way less. Half the time, I believed my manager was forging vet documents and just giving the animals medicine from dead animals. That was an investigation that I didn't see the end of.

I also used to get in trouble for sending sick animals back to the supplier. That's my job, but hey, I'll do it wrong for the sake of money, right? Nope. I couldn't do it anymore. The only investigations that were truly and well investigated (in my store, anyway) were associates who may have stolen. Corruption, cruelty (unless blatant) was swept right under the rug. Nope! Couldn't find any evidence of that!

Sorry, I think I went on my own rant. :p The point was that the associates might have the training, but won't be allowed to do anything about it anyway and that's incredibly frustrating. Some people leave, others try to disassociate from the animals because they absolutely need the job. It's a real crap situation when money is the object.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's so sad that people are more concerned about money then the health and wellness of the animals..

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Our Petsmart in Milwaukee seems to always have healthy and happy animals. When I bought Gizzard the day before Thanksgiving, all the rats approached the opening when the employee unlocked it and they ALL seemed happy to be touched and held... not one was skittish. These were all baby girls too... and all wanted to cuddle. I was impressed.

Never seen a sick animal there, all the cages are always clean, and all the animals seem friendly. They also told me that they have gender specific stores. One store carries male animals, while another will carry females. They don't mix genders for any reason... not even in separate cages.

I don't work there, I am just really impressed with it. LoL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts