Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

My boyfriend and I just bought our first rat (Addo) yesterday, and I am unsure when to feed him. I just assumed that I could put a bowl of the pet store rat mix in his run and let him eat when he wants. Turns out... he always wants to eat. He's been eating at regular intervals during the day. In the evening I also gave him a little lettuce and melon, tried cherry tomato but he wasn't into it.

Am I right to leave a little bowl of rat food mix in a bowl in his run? Or should I be feeding him, for example, in the evening (like a dog or cat)?

Probably sounds like a stupid question to you experienced rat owners, but I looked on the internet and could only find advice on WHAT to feed them, which I already know.

Swift answers would be appreciated! Bit worried.

Oh also he sneezes a lot :/. He's a 6 week old european husky. I read that this can be the beginnings of respiratory disease but he has no other symptoms, just the odd sneeze. But it's quite often.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If he's new, the sneezes may just be him adapting to his environment. Unless he seems ill otherwise, give him a bit of time.

The 'rat food mix' at the store may or may not be the best thing for him. Look about on the boards for discussions on good foods, bad foods, homemade mixes, etc.

Also, rats have a tendency to take everything they're given and either taste it or hide it away somewhere in the cage. It's up to you how to feed him, but most people free-feed, and let the rats take as much as they'd like. Most rats will not overeat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What I do to feed my rats is to give them the dry food mix in the morning and replenish it every morning, my rats are quite strange... they dont really store their food but most other rats do!

In the evenings before I go to bed I feed them wet food like:
tomatos, cucumber a bit of chicken etc. I put this food in a bowl so it doesnt get messy, but this doesnt really work because when I give them raspberries they smear the juice all over the cage anyway! =D

Good luck and have fun with your new rattie!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yeah, I usually just refill in the morning before work/school. But just as an added measure to make sure they're not overeating I wait until the vast majority of it's gone(like a few pieces left).

Any wet foods I feed while I'm there and have time to clean it up right after so the cage doesn't get too messy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts