Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got two new rats, they're about 3 months old at this point, and I'm not sure if I should feed them once a day, like I do with my older girls, or if I should leave food out for them all the time like its done at the pets store.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Im a huge fan of giving rats access to food 24/7.

I have 15 rats (not counting itty bitty babies) and not one is overweight. If they are getting proper exercise and good quality food and snacks only in moderation they should be fine with having access to food all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks! My older girls are used to only getting food once a day, along with treats, but i wasn't sure what to do with the babies since they're not used to that at all.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I feed them once a day because they just hoard it all and so if i kept food out for them all the time i would run out. But if they dont always hoard it the i would love to leave out food for them 24/7

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My older girls hoard like there is no tomorrow, but the babies seem to only take what they want to eat. Since they're in different cages right now, I'm making sure their bowl stays filled but that probably wont be the case when i move the babies into my bigger cage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts