Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel so bad that I've been feeding my rats petstore seed mix out of the bin. THE BIN! *slaps forehead* With some lab blocks every now and then. No wonder my rats don't have shiny coats like I've seen. So I'm stepping it up. I was thinking of buying these two things from this website. :D

http://www.ratzrealm.com/id25_htm.htm

HARLAN TEKLAD LAB BLOCKS & RATZ REALM'S GOURMET RAT MIX

The rat mix ingredients; "A nutritious combination of grains, peas, beans, fruit, seed, natural cereals, whole wheat pasta, and allergy free natural kibbles that rats love. No Corn Products, No Sugar, No Artificial Colors or Preservatives, Made Fresh Weekly."

I am worried (for a rather dumb reason) that my rats wont eat the rat mix or blocks because they are so used to bin food. :?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
well, truthfully, animals often get addicted to the fats and oils in seeds, which basically act like endorphins. this is why birds that are fed seed outside will ONLY eat seed, and often don't do so well when their main seed-giver stops. your ratties will eventually switch over, but it may take a few days until they are certain they aren't going to get anything better. i have to wait days for picasso to eat the lab blocks and soynuts because she will pick out all the dried fruit, puffed grains, and pasta, and then wait for more. i feel bad for mozart, who will eat the lab blocks diligently, but has to wait for yummier stuff anyway. :p anyway, your rats will eventually eat whatever is in front of them if nothing better comes along. i stopped with sunflower seeds with her because that was all picasso would eat, couldn't have been good for her.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I want to see if I can order some lab blocks and some of the rat mix too. Does anyone know generally fast 1 rat goes through the food? I have 3 rats and i might have 4 or 5 soon so I need to know how much to order.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Before I started reading all this great info on this forum.... I purchased a load of rat food. What I have and would like to use up are the following:
1) bag of Nutriphase
2) THREE bags of Muzuri rat food

Now I am also giving them whole grain pasta, good dog food, fresh fruits and veggies, and occasional dog bisquits. Would it be a mistake to continue using these bagged foods? I would hate to see them all go to waste.
Once these are all gone I would like to make my own mix up using some of the recipes I have seen on here and online. Seems to be healthier and cheaper as well. Thanks, Cindy

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The Mazuri is one of the best pet store foods out there. That should be fine.

Not sure about the Nutriphase... Maybe just mix it up in the treats?

·
Registered
103 Posts
i bought lab blocks and my girls went on strike. they eventually gave in seeing that that was the only food option. Now i use lab blocks but sprinkle a little seed mix in. How many blocks should I be putting in for 3 growing girls?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts