Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had horrible luck lately with pet health. I feel so taxed right now *sighs*

Here is the story:
Today Hobbes was sitting with me at the computer being rather cuddly and playful and trying REALLY hard to get on my desk despite my wanting him not to (It's cord crazy there but he doesn't get on when I don't want him to lol) I felt around his chest armpit area for a pet and felt a TINNY bump. I tried to see if it was a scab, because that is how tiny it was. I wasn't able to see anything behind his fur. But I could definitely feel something and not only that when I felt it, my fingers seemed to move it around in there O_O I don't want to mess with it too much but it seems to be somewhere around his middle chest/throat area anywhere to his left underarm area. It's about the size of a seed like a sesame seed or maybe even smaller. I'm surprised I even felt it, that's how small it is.

It is hard and it moves when touched (not on it's own, as if I'm pushing it around) Is this a tumor? I would think an absess would stay put. This is my first experience with ratty lumps so I'm rather clueless about such things more than reading. Do you think surgery can wait until next month? Gidgett is going to the vet this month and it will probably drain me but I think I can afford surgery next month. It's TINY and I know it's best to take care of such things ASAP so they don't grow out of hand.

Any advice will be appreciated. I'll ask the vet about it Saturday when I'm there and make an appointment for next month regardless.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm sorry nobody got to you sooner, Poppyseed :( Did you take Hobbes to the vets? What was the outcome?

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Abscesses and tumors are very hard to tell apart adn even a vet can't tell just by looking/feeling. You can do a FNA (fine needle aspiration) where the vet tries to see if they can get fluid out of the lump (hence abscess) whereas a tumor is solid.

If I am not sure its a mass (age of rat, etc..older females pop up with these) then I can treat as an abscess to see if I can get it to scab and burst. If the treatment doesn't change things you could have a tumour and can think of removal

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's still there, and still tiny (although possibly a very minuscule bit larger). I can't see a sore or anything of that. It still moves...

I'm feeling him everyday to see if it gets larger but until then he's going to have to wait until next month. He physically seems great and healthy and it's still tiny so I don't think anything is happening fast (mind you if I see this changing I will be at the vets office ASAP)

If I did try to treat it like abscess that wouldn't hurt anything would it? Like I said never tried anything like this before, I've been looking to see if it would grow a scab or raise up myself and nothing. It's very mobile and hard under there not squishy :/

Found a lump on Bastian recently as well, and also not sure on that either. I will take them to the vet next month. It just sucks though because I JUST got insurance and it takes 14 days to kick in. I should just cancel it or see if I can transfer the policy to my other rats :/ After these bumps, I think they are going to see EVERYTHING as a preexisting condition.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would try a hot compress on it for a few days or so, see it anything chenges. Its not going to hurt anything, and I noticed when Jay had his lump, when I did the compress on it, I could see it on his face how much better it made him feel. I guess just keep an eye on it untill you can get him to the vets. Keep us updated. :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rats have so many problems ): I love these guys but seriously don't know if I want to keep anymore after they're gone. Ever since I've gotten them I've been at the vets once or twice a month.

All I would like is two months without one problem TWO! That's it! I'm having trouble saving up for their bills ): I feel like I can barely keep on top of things. And my hours will be going back down again soon so I'm spazzing about that ):

I'm having a bad time at this. I think I need a pep talk ): And a better paying job. All my extra money goes towards the animals, which is fine but sometimes I would like to save or get a working vehicle or my wisdom teeth out or something ):

Let's all hope that these are abscesses.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Poppyseed said:
Let's all hope that these are abscesses.
I wish you lots of luck... it seems you have been pretty unlucky so far :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts