Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had my two girls out a couple times recently to find that they're marking?? Can females learn to mark (dribble little bits of pee as they go across your leg) or is there a health issue I should be concerned about? I don't mind it and if marking is all it is I find it a bit humorous cuz they're ladies but I don't want them to have a UTI or something and just go blindly thinking it's just lady marking. Nothing else is unusual, they're acting totally normal, but I certainly wanted to see if anyone has ever come across a marking female or two?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Both my girls do it too. I read somewhere that they don't hold their bladder entirely but I don't know if that's true. They have been doing it since I got them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started noticing it about a month ago with my older girl but then the other is doing it too now. I'd say they both started around 7-8 months old. Glad to hear they're not the only ones. It doesn't seem to be as much as boys do but it is noticeable. As long as they're ok thats all that matters :)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
When I take my girls (true shoulder rats) outside most will mark me and mark the spot I put them down at. Then they will roam about and almost always go back to the spot they marked when they want to be picked up. Female rats mark so set waypoints for navigation and to know where their humans are. The fist thing Fuzzy Rat did when I came out of the shower was to pee on me. While male rats use marking to establish territories, females do it to mark friends and navigate. They also may mark their turf, but I can't say that for sure.

As to problem peeing, whenever Fuzzy Rat went swimming in the lake or got too cold outdoors she would pee constantly for the next three to four days, then it just went away. It was a real mess, but I never was able to find out what the problem was. Have your rats been unusually cold or wet recently?

Best luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I take my girls (true shoulder rats) outside most will mark me and mark the spot I put them down at. Then they will roam about and almost always go back to the spot they marked when they want to be picked up. Female rats mark so set waypoints for navigation and to know where their humans are. The fist thing Fuzzy Rat did when I came out of the shower was to pee on me. While male rats use marking to establish territories, females do it to mark friends and navigate. They also may mark their turf, but I can't say that for sure.

As to problem peeing, whenever Fuzzy Rat went swimming in the lake or got too cold outdoors she would pee constantly for the next three to four days, then it just went away. It was a real mess, but I never was able to find out what the problem was. Have your rats been unusually cold or wet recently?

Best luck.
Not wet and I don't think its been chillier than usual. Your explanation makes sense though about marking humans and homing points. Its only itty bitty dribbles and not constant so it seems more like marking. If its not totally unheard of for ladies to mark (and apparently it isn't) than I'm sure thats all it is :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
My rat that has marked the most was actually a girl. She had red eyes though, and definitely was very nearly blind but from my experience sounds normal to me too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.