Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had 4 females then went to the petstore and got one more to make it 5. About a week ago me and my roomate noticed the newest addition had been getting fat and though she was just obese. So I went to work that day and about 2 hours later my roomie calls me and says that she had 13 babies. Ever since then she has biten me on 3 seperate occassions and she hasnt before. Like last night she climbed on my hand up my arm onto my shoulder and stood up and bit me on the side of the head. I hope this doesnt continue, hopefully it is only cause she has babies now. Any help is appriciated. Also I noticed late last night one of our other females was moving babies from the nest and when i got home from work it looked as she was helping out with the feeding. Is this normal. Anyways thanks for the help.:mad:

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
When a rat is raising pups all bets are off. Some stay perfectly friendly other's can get protective or otherwise react badly to even their favorite humans... This isn't something to fix, it's something to work through with thick gloves or oven mitts. After the babies are weaned if the aggressive behavior continues then you can address it.

And yes a friend of mine was a breeder for many years she always bred her females in pairs or trios so they could help each other out with the maternal and nursing duties.... She told me it was normal for the moms to borrow pups from each other... as to why a rat that isn't nursing is borrowing babies, I can't say... normally nursing moms are separated from other female rats that don't have litters just to be safe. It's common for non lactating female rats to kill other female rat's babies... I'd keep a close eye on the situation.

Congrats on your new family.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts