Rat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, okay well I have read up on breeding for the past few months and have decided that I am ready and want to do it, I have families lined up and tons and tons of cages, food and bedding. I put my female and male rat together for the past few days and as far as I've seen, she will just not let him mate with her. Every time he starts to try to do anything she squeels and jumps 2 feet in the air and pushes him away. She is a very big female but the male is even bigger, she is very strong though and can actually push him off. They do this thing where they both jump and stand on their hind legs and just eye eachother until one stops. They were together for 3 days and I only even saw them doing this, I really don't think he could mate with her. Do you think they did mate and I missed it? Or is there such thing as a rat that just won't mate? She got exetremly vicious with him so I am really doubting anything happened. I don't know what to do. Please give input! Thanks

Diana

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Separate them. Obviously they aren't compatible or she just isn't interested. It's not worth hurting one or the other.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You really didn't state a real reason for breeding other then your ready?
I hope you didn't just buy the two from a pet store and expect something good to come of it.
Ide separate them, hopefully if they don't have a same sex cage mate, get one and don't try again.

I'm sorry, you wont find any pro-breeding help here.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
All I can say is that you haven't done enough research because these questions are fairly easy to find out when one researches breeding & is properly trained by someone who is experienced with breeding.

& as Hippy pointed out, this board does not promote breeding

If you are interested in breeding what you need to do is contact a breeder that offers mentoring & see if they wish to train you.

But seeing that you have all these wonderful homes lined up please do what would be really cool... research your area on rescues & see if they have available rats needing homes. You can also keep an eye open on oops litters that may be in your general area & help these babies that are already here & needing homes find a home with one of your families who wishes to adopt a rat.

That would be the most admirable thing you could do.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i agree, please just don't breed them.
if you aren't experienced with rats and your breeding pair isn't actually FROM a reputable breeder, so you know their genetics and all, it wouldn't be the best thing to bring a sick litter of babies into an already overpopulated world.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, no one has to attack me for no reason. I asked a simple question that no one even answered. Just because everyone here thinks they know everything there is to know about rats doesn't mean other people don't know just as much as you. Even though you all sit on the computer all day and talk about rats doesn't mean you know more than others, and you really shouldn't assume you do. I have had pet rats for 3 years now. I want to breed them because I think it's a beautiful thing to witness and help out with birth of amazing creatures. I did not get my rats from a pet store, I got them from very reputable breeders in my area. And I have also asked about 3000 questions to those breeders too. I'm not an idiot, I would never take something like birth so non seriously. I have 3 females and 2 males, they are perfectly happy. I have actually rescued a few rats from humane societies around my area, but the truth is that it is exremly rare to find a rat in one of them seeing as not many people here even like rats, therefore there aren't many in shelters to save. I have wanted to breed rats for years now and I am finally ready with all the knowledge and families and everything, people don't have to jump on me for asking a simple question. Seeing as this is a forum for rats, I expected to just get an answer to my question but it appears not. How about you answer people's questions instead of just bitching at them not to breed? I have read most of the topics in this section and there is not one helpful peice of advice about breeding. Well, thanks for the help guys, I don't mean to be a bitch, I just get offended when people who don't know me assume that I am incompetent in something. I'll inform you on how beautifully the breeding goes.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
In their defense, they had very little to base their opinion of you on. This is the internet, they can't see you, some assumptions are automatic.

But my recommendation to separate them stands. Some pairs just aren't meant to be.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
ok, i must be missing something. you are not the first person recently to claim being attacked yet i'm not seeing it here. your question was answered. they are not getting along=separate them. we don't know the average temperament these rats have when introduced to new rats but to play it safe we err on the side of caution. so when you say the female was aggressive with the introduction of the male we have to assume unless otherwise told, that this rat does not do well with strange rats. this can be genetic and not something you want to pass on to babies. we can only work with the information given.

also, those questions do seem simple so it implies that you have not done enough research or have not been mentored long enough. again, not having the information to the contrary we assume the worst. after all it is better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best rather then be blindsided with the bad.

also, more often then not the people that post about wanting to breed here are not knowledgeable about the subject at all. so again, not knowing any better we prepare for the worst-someone with NO knowledge. now that you have told us different you must be able to understand not wanting people with no knowledge of breeding, breeding. as you know, the act of it is simple enough but the consequences can be quite serious.

but, if you feel that we are attacking you then please tell me where. if there is a problem with this issue i want to address it but i really can't see where it is happening. the previous posts certainly don't seem berating or intentially offensive. but, its been a long week for me already, so i will admit i may be missing something.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hippy said:
You really didn't state a real reason for breeding other then your ready?
I hope you didn't just buy the two from a pet store and expect something good to come of it.
Ide separate them, hopefully if they don't have a same sex cage mate, get one and don't try again.

That's extremely harsh Hippy.

I'm sorry, but;

Hippy said:
Is overly mean.

Considerably, maybe the person just wants more rats.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with having more than 2 rats, I'm sure anyone here will tell you that.

and as for:
Hippy said:
and don't try again.
That's, ...

do I need a diagram?

·
Registered
476 Posts
crazychick24 said:
I'll inform you on how beautifully the breeding goes.
Why didn't you just do that in the first place, and taken the breeding possibly to a forum which supports it. And asked if we supporting breeding, and if we did. What did we put on it for views.

Then make the assumption to breed or not,

Then tell us about it after it's done?

An describe the process and considering if it was ethical or not. or morally correct or not, then create another theory on it. And describe why you came to the conclusion that it was (or) was not a good idea.

And that would save us from long dramatic posts such as this..

·
Registered
358 Posts
ladada2001,
There was nothing wrong in my reply, the person only took it offensively because I wasn't FOR her breeding. People on this site feel like they are being attacked because everyone is answering their question with answers they didn't want to hear.

Taking my post apart like that was useless because it was calm and correct, I was not the least bit rude in my reply.

Oh and I'm curious, how is saying this isn't a pro-breeding site mean? Its stating a fact. And there is nothing wrong with having 2 rats, I have 5, two are rescued, if the person wanted more rats, he/she could go out and rescue a rat, but instead wants to see the miracle of birth, which he/she most likely wont see because she/he doesn't know if the two have bred and when she will labor.

crazychick24,
Don't assume we live at out computer desks. Because we told you something you didn't want to hear, your assuming we are attacking you so you bark back in defense. All your replies for breeding are answers to questions of why you shouldn't be breeding. I'm sorry.

Im done with this board. I gave my reply.

·
Registered
407 Posts
No one has attacked you, crazychick. You asked a question, you got some answers.

Besides, many of the people on here are less concerned with what you like or dont like that is said in response to a question that YOU asked, and are more concerned with what is best for these animals. Ive said it before, will say it again...the name of the forum is RATforum.com....not letsmakesureeveryonesselfesteemisboosted.com.

I would assume that you asked the original question because you were concerned. If you were concerned, then you received some pretty good replies and should know what you should do next.

Just my opinion...and FYI, I am *NOT* bashing you. I dont even know you.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I very sorry crazychick, but you will find as a forum we are in general against any sort of breeding. It's not personal, but all the information we have on you and your rats is from a few incomplete sentences. None of us have the full picture, so we are going to make assumptions based on the limited information we are given.

If you have questions about breeding, your best bet would be to ask your mentor, as none of us here are breeders.

Ladada, if you have an issue ith one of the members please take it PMs, no need to do it on the forum. Hippy wasn't out of line with any of her comments.

I think everyone here would benefit from standing up from the computer and taking a deep breath before replying.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
deep breath taken... ponders... yup, still gonna say it

If you are going to freak out because you perceive a few random, harmless words on a screen to be some sort of attack & offensive because they weren't what you wanted read I wonder what kind of reaction you will have when a delivery of babies doesn't turn out the way you want it to turn out

(side note: you mention you got these rats from great breeders, why are you asking a bunch of strangers these questions?)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have to admit, I'm a bit confused. You say your pair is a breeder pair, then you are being mentored? If you're being mentored, this is definitely a question your mentor would be able to answer more than many rat enthusiasts, as we don't breed.

I would seriously reconsider your mentor if you don't feel comfortable asking him/her questions, or if you already did and they had no answer. A breeder that's mentoring should be able to answer most questions about breeding, such as the one you asked. While it's not overly common, I know it is something that happens when breeding.

We've had a few cases here where someone's asked a question, much as "backyard breeders" would, and then comes back, saying the pair is a breeder pair and they're mentored. First off, there's no way we'd know that without you stating so, in the FIRST post. You can't shoot us for not knowing. Second, if one read before posting, one would see what stance the forum (as just about every other rat fancy forum out there has) takes on breeding.

We - at least, I and many rat fanciers - are not "anti-breeder". I can't stand people thinking I am. Yes, I run a rescue, yes, I believe rescue rats already needing a home should ALWAYS come first (obviously), but I also believe that *ethical* breeders have a place. In fact, I have 2 very good friends who are breeders, and have no problems associating with them. I recommend them to others often if what they want are rats with exceptional lines.

The key word, though, is ethical. They ARE mentored by some of the best breeders in the country, who are established and have been running their ratteries for up to 9 years (in one case). My breeder friends studied for years, and did not begin breeding before they and their mentor felt they were ready. Beyond that, they *still* refer back to their mentors daily. They are also active in rescue, and they heavily support rescues like us. They also do not breed if there is not a high demand, and a low amount of rescues needing homes.

Anyhow, I am curious... Would you share which rattery your pair is from?

This post is longer than I meant for it to be. Oops. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
took another breath...

crazychick24 said:
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:49 pm
Hey everyone. I just joined this forum today. I have 3 female rats, Paige, Ellie and Maddison and I just got a 2 month old male today! His name is Jack. I joined because I am thinking about breeding and also am having some problems so hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks.

Diana
Is this the male you are breeding? He is a bit young, maybe the female is rejecting him because he is immature. Just cause he is old enough to be fertile doesn't mean he is old enough to be fertilizing.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:52 pm
Hi, I just noticed a few days ago on my oldest girl, Paige, that from her hair follicles there is blood around them. It looks dried. She doesn't look discomforted or anything and she has been acting totally normally lately, but this really worries me. I gave her a bath today and gently scrubbed but it made no difference. Literally, the blood is all over her, and it looks like her hair is thinning. She's almost a year a half old, is this old age, a skin infection, cancer?? And what should I do? Has anyone had this happen to their rat. Thanks.

Diana
Is this the female you are trying to breed? I'm asking, not accusing... ok?

If so, number one she is too old... number two she doesn't sound healthy thus meaning she should not be bred.

If this isn't the female you were breeding (or for that matter if this isn't the male) who is? What is their age & weight? Those two things are very important.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hippy said:
ladada2001,
There was nothing wrong in my reply, the person only took it offensively because I wasn't FOR her breeding. People on this site feel like they are being attacked because everyone is answering their question with answers they didn't want to hear.

Taking my post apart like that was useless because it was calm and correct, I was not the least bit rude in my reply.

Oh and I'm curious, how is saying this isn't a pro-breeding site mean? Its stating a fact. And there is nothing wrong with having 2 rats, I have 5, two are rescued, if the person wanted more rats, he/she could go out and rescue a rat, but instead wants to see the miracle of birth, which he/she most likely wont see because she/he doesn't know if the two have bred and when she will labor.

crazychick24,
Don't assume we live at out computer desks. Because we told you something you didn't want to hear, your assuming we are attacking you so you bark back in defense. All your replies for breeding are answers to questions of why you shouldn't be breeding. I'm sorry.

Im done with this board. I gave my reply.
Well Hippy, what I'm saying is this.

I found it rude just with a very outstanding "Don't try again."

To you it may have sounded calm, but in deed it sounds harsh.

It's like saying; "You did it. NEVER DO IT AGAIN"

In a sense at least.

In any case, I also kind of picked it apart as I also found that "We're not pro-breeding" might be considered answering as a collective. Where as teh collective may not be pro-breeding, there is biased in that. In the concept of, that maybe a few *even a handful* are.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Ladada, I said take it to the PMs. Don't make me say it again please.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
ok, i think there is some misunderstanding going on here.

my previous post asked for an example of where crazychick could feel attacked as i honestly could not see it. ladada found it in hippy's post and replied to my request. though i do not agree with all of ladada's conclusions i can see how hippy's post could be misconstrued as offensive.

i know it was not hippy's intention to be offensive, but neither was it ladada's. though again his post can easily come off that way. which is why he tried to explain himself better in his next post. not to fight but to reconcile his misframed words before.

this is a great example of how easily things can be read differently when we have no visual or auditory cues on intention from one another. we should take this as a reminder to think about our words carefully when stepping into a situation such as this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i know im one to talk if youve read all my posts .but really this isnt the place to ask about breeding at all, this forum wasnt made for that purpose (to my knowledge) so my advice one seperate the rats they dont get along and are not ment to breed with one another and 2 find a forum that is pro breeding and ask them , but for any other questions about rats were all happy to help (not meaning to talk for all of ya).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.