Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've had my females since May 8th this year. I got them together from pet store (i know) They are both sweet loving rats who bonded completely and quickly, they can even do a few basic tricks! I know that baby rats play fight a lot but my girls have raised some concerns. I know that most times there is a 'dominant' rat, that's Peaches. I see them force grooming (normal) with squeaking (normal) but Peaches doesn't stop grooming Flash once she's squeaking. I've also noticed Peaches following her around. I think it might have to do with possessiveness over a wood house they have. I had separated them because I didn't want anyone hurt while I worked. I put them back together today and they are cuddling and all seems well. I removed the wood house and did a vinegar bath with EVERYTHING. All is going well but i'm worried they will fight again. They haven't drawn blood ever, but if they start fighting again I'm not sure what to do. Should they be separated if they're fighting or only once they've drawn blood? I just don't want Flash being bullied, or either hurting one another.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If they haven't ever drawn blood, I wonder if you are over worrying the situation. If the wood house is causing issues, I would either add another wood house, or take the wood house out. I'd rather do that than separate them. Squeaking doesn't mean they must stop aggressive grooming. Some rats are a lot more vocal than others. Some will squeak the moment another rat touches them in an aggressive way, even if playful.

How big is their cage? Is there enough room to play and to have separate sleeping quarters if they don't want to snuggle?

·
Registered
94 Posts
As Mimsy mentioned, the general rule is "no blood, no foul." You said you separated them because they were fighting, but it doesn't sound like fighting at all. Peaches is just being dominant. Don't separate them unless they are actually fighting- they're social and need to be together, and I've read that in some cases separating them will actually CAUSE fighting when they get put back together (maybe I'm thinking of boys here). My 2 boys would squeak non-stop during grooming sessions, ALL the time, but they were playing and having fun. Some rats are just whiny lol. It might seem like the dominant one is being a little harsh, but that's her job. Rats understand their social status and everything is okay. So long as there's no blood, missing chunks of fur, scabs, etc that would indicate wounds, they're okay.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they haven't ever drawn blood, I wonder if you are over worrying the situation. If the wood house is causing issues, I would either add another wood house, or take the wood house out. I'd rather do that than separate them. Squeaking doesn't mean they must stop aggressive grooming. Some rats are a lot more vocal than others. Some will squeak the moment another rat touches them in an aggressive way, even if playful.

How big is their cage? Is there enough room to play and to have separate sleeping quarters if they don't want to snuggle?
thanks, they have a double critter nation and today they still seem to be doing fine, I really think I over mommied them, thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Mimsy mentioned, the general rule is "no blood, no foul." You said you separated them because they were fighting, but it doesn't sound like fighting at all. Peaches is just being dominant. Don't separate them unless they are actually fighting- they're social and need to be together, and I've read that in some cases separating them will actually CAUSE fighting when they get put back together (maybe I'm thinking of boys here). My 2 boys would squeak non-stop during grooming sessions, ALL the time, but they were playing and having fun. Some rats are just whiny lol. It might seem like the dominant one is being a little harsh, but that's her job. Rats understand their social status and everything is okay. So long as there's no blood, missing chunks of fur, scabs, etc that would indicate wounds, they're okay.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for injuries :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
thanks, they have a double critter nation and today they still seem to be doing fine, I really think I over mommied them, thanks for your help! :)
That's fairly easy to do. They are so little and seem fragile, but they're more resilient than we give them credit for.

When I first got my babies, I was alarmed with the viciousness of the tackles. I've never seen an aggressive rat, but I think I could visualize how one could draw a lot of blood just based on how nimble they are. But yeah, they can look pretty brutal when they play.

And like everyone else, I let them fight it out since there's no blood. I do clap my hands loudly when they get into boxing stance. I've read that's more aggressive than mere dominance, but it still hasn't resulted in anything bad. I still stop it anyway, though it is awfully cute when they're in boxing stances.

·
Registered
953 Posts
A dcn for two girls is more than enough space to get away from each other! I wouldn't worry unless there was blood or there was some real personality changes and fearfulness from one.

We have a girl we call the squeaky toy. Even if her sisters are playing and then run over the top of her, she squeaks. If we pick her up she squeaks. If someone lays down next to her she squeaks. Now she happily sleeps with all her sisters, but she squeaks evertime someone walks over her. If she is the one initiating play and holds down a sister and does the licking on them..she is still the one squeaking. She'll be a year oct 1'st and she's been like this since she first opened her eyes. She's just a loud little ratty.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's fairly easy to do. They are so little and seem fragile, but they're more resilient than we give them credit for.

When I first got my babies, I was alarmed with the viciousness of the tackles. I've never seen an aggressive rat, but I think I could visualize how one could draw a lot of blood just based on how nimble they are. But yeah, they can look pretty brutal when they play.

And like everyone else, I let them fight it out since there's no blood. I do clap my hands loudly when they get into boxing stance. I've read that's more aggressive than mere dominance, but it still hasn't resulted in anything bad. I still stop it anyway, though it is awfully cute when they're in boxing stances.
I know, they're such funny little critters,they are still together and all is well, I don't think they'll need to separated again, they've only boxed probably twice, so I'm sure they're just playing now

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A dcn for two girls is more than enough space to get away from each other! I wouldn't worry unless there was blood or there was some real personality changes and fearfulness from one.

We have a girl we call the squeaky toy. Even if her sisters are playing and then run over the top of her, she squeaks. If we pick her up she squeaks. If someone lays down next to her she squeaks. Now she happily sleeps with all her sisters, but she squeaks evertime someone walks over her. If she is the one initiating play and holds down a sister and does the licking on them..she is still the one squeaking. She'll be a year oct 1'st and she's been like this since she first opened her eyes. She's just a loud little ratty.
AW that's adorable! thanks for all your help, I feel much better now. I'm thinking if they wanted to hurt each other, they would right :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts