Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I didn't want to have to do this, but I'm posting another thing about Ferret Nations, so I apologize. I'm slightly freaking out right now because Ferret.com has seemingly removed the Ferret Nation 142 model from it's website and I'm going to order one very soon! They seem to be putting together a starter kit, but it's more expensive and I don't want it (even though I don't know what's in it)! So should I call, or e-mail them or just wait it out and see what happens?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I live in England, so I'm not convinced I could even get one here, but it occurs that ferret.com can't be the only place on the internet selling them? Is there a reason you have to get it from there? If you really want it cheap, maybe try ebay or something?

But if it has to be ferret.com, then I'd say wait until they actually start to offer it again, to see what the offer is and whether you can afford it/want it, and then if you don't, email them and ask if you can buy just the cage.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ferret.com has them at the lowest price, why not buy it from there.
I believe they took it down because they were sold out? They have taken it away several times before then put it back up ect.

But if you are still curious, just call or online message them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It does disappear from the site periodically. I'm not sure why, because I'm pretty sure they don't actually stock it themselves, since it ships directly from Midwest. I'd try calling or emailing (they're pretty fast with responding via email, usually the next day).

Also, there are other places online that sell FNs, but ferret.com is by FAR the cheapest. A lot of the cost of FNs are from the shipping (a 142 weighs almost 100 lbs), but ferret.com has a flat shipping rate of $6.99. Plus the cage itself is just cheaper there. I've seen it some places online for over $200 without shipping.

·
Registered
330 Posts
FN doesnt seem that great to me. all in all it seems quite small. you just seem to get 2 sets of 1 floor, and one mini floor. and it seems quite expensive, and it looks VERRY heavy. naybe there's something that i dont know about.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It's very heavy, but it's no where near small. Put together the 142 is as tall or taller than I am and there's tons of room for hammocks and such.

What would you suggest as a better cage? I'm always curious as to better options! :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
FNs aren't small. The 142 my girls are in is 4ft tall, 3ft long, and 2ft wide - biggest cage I've ever seen! (And that's the cage itself - I had to remove the shelf on the bottom because it wouldn't fit in my low-ceilinged room otherwise). And the shelf alone (you get one for each section, so two for a 142) is about 23" x 17" - which is a bigger space than the floor of the first cage I had when I first got rats. I had a Super Pet cage that was taller, but it didn't have as much floor space. Since rats need room to run around, that's more important than a bit more height. Plus, each section has two full-sized doors that can be easily removed and put back on - it makes cleaning and decorating so fast and easy. They are heavy, but that's why they're on wheels ^_^ The only flaw I see is the wide bar spacing. But since it's made for ferrets, I can't complain. Easily remedied with hardware cloth!

FNs are definitely the best cages in my opinion. But I agree that if you know of a better cage, share it with us ^_^

·
Registered
549 Posts
Other than the large size being an obvious plus, its the easiest cage in the world to decorate, and the doors are a gift from god.. ::could babble all day about her cage::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts