Best for climbing

• Other- add ______ to climb on

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating on getting a ferret or critter nation (double) when my boys get a bit bigger, but I seem to be able to find ferret nations more commonly (used) relatively cheaply. For those with boys, are they able to climb the bars of the ferret nation or would it need to be fitted with 1/2" by 1/2" wire mesh for climbing or would the critter nation be a better bet?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Critter Nation was made with horizontal bars specifically for climbing little critters like rats, Ferret Nation has vertical bars, so if you're looking for maximum climbability I'd definitely go with CN. Not to mention that if you get young rats in the future, there is much less chance of escape!

You could put lots of ledges and stuff, but I feel as though that would make it look cluttered, and covering a FN with that wire just wouldn't look very nice in my opinion.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the vertical bars impossible to climb for adult males or simply not as good as critter nation in your opinion (am leaning towards critter nation personally)

·
Registered
941 Posts
They probably wouldn't be impossible, but I think it would definitely be more difficult, and they may be less inclined to climb the bars depending on how much your rats like to climb.
That being said, I don't have a CN yet, it's being shipped as I type.
But my dad does have a FN for his two ferrets, and I would definitely put extra wiring around it if you go for that option, as I think that the wider bar spacing would add on to the difficulty of climbing vertical bars.
Then again, maybe your rats would be able to climb it just fine, who knows! I'd be a little more concerned about when they become old, and climbing is more difficult, with a FN.

Your rats will be happy with whatever you choose, I'm sure!:)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My boys had absolutely no problem climbing in their ferret nation (and they were big, fat and lazy lol). The only thing I can think of being a problem would be with old rats or rats with movement disabilities. My girls are in a ferret nation with the 1/2" wire mesh and I've noticed that they mostly grip the horizontal cage bars rather than the mesh. Put enough baskets, hammocks, ropes, lava ledges, etc in the cage and it really shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I originally bought 2 DFNs one for my sister and one for me, because they were the best cage at the time. I bought 2 DCNs to replace them as soon as I knew they were available. I sold one DFN to a breeder, and my husband uses the other as a tool crib. I am very happy with my decision. I love the DCN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts