Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A FN might be in my future once I have some money again! I do have a few more questions about it though.

First, I know those pans aren't deep, has anyone on here put something deeper in or used plexiglass or sign boards on the side to keep stuff in? Or does stuff generally not fall out of the cage? I am putting the cage on top of a large metal dog crate so I am worried about stuff falling into the crate.

On the 141 model can it be assembled without the stand or would I do better to buy the add on and purchase a full pan?

I do have green powder coated wire cloth that I know I will need to use, and I was wondering if anyone else has used the powder coated and if so, if they have a picture of it. Is there anything I should be extra careful about with the wire since Betty is hairless?

I plan on using fleece to cover everything with a literbox of carefresh in the corner (or where ever she decides she'll use it). Can the fleece be changed only once a week, or do I need to change it more often? My rat is not a chewer, how long should I expect the fleece to last?

Anything else I should know or think about is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
997 Posts
lostbutnotforgot said:
First, I know those pans aren't deep, has anyone on here put something deeper in or used plexiglass or sign boards on the side to keep stuff in? Or does stuff generally not fall out of the cage? I am putting the cage on top of a large metal dog crate so I am worried about stuff falling into the crate.
The pan is entirely too shallow for litter, and things generally don't fall out of the cage.

lostbutnotforgot said:
On the 141 model can it be assembled without the stand or would I do better to buy the add on and purchase a full pan?
It can be assembled without the shelf part, yes, but if you plan to move the cage around often then I'd say leave it on. This cage is extremely heavy, even the 141.[/quote]
lostbutnotforgot said:
I do have green powder coated wire cloth that I know I will need to use, and I was wondering if anyone else has used the powder coated and if so, if they have a picture of it. Is there anything I should be extra careful about with the wire since Betty is hairless?
I dunnow about this one.
lostbutnotforgot said:
I plan on using fleece to cover everything with a literbox of carefresh in the corner (or where ever she decides she'll use it). Can the fleece be changed only once a week, or do I need to change it more often? My rat is not a chewer, how long should I expect the fleece to last?
I feel this depends on the number of rats and if they'll pee on the fleece. I've heard every 2-3 days but I feel I can go a week without changing it.

lostbutnotforgot said:
Anything else I should know or think about is greatly appreciated!

Invest in a small vacuum, a few small bristle brushes and baby wipes...they help a LOT!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you're going to use fleece and litter boxes, a deeper pan won't be necessary. Even with my 6 rats who love to rearrange everything to their liking, the only things that really fall out is the occasional poop and the shredded paper I put in a box for them to play in.

Since you only have one rat, you should be fine with changing the fleece once a week. Especially if she's good about using the litter box. I've been using towels with my rats for several months now and I haven't had to throw any out. They got a bit chewed up in some places, but nothing much.

The cages don't need to be assembled with the stand (my 142 isn't) but you'll want to have it on wheels. It's very heavy, and you won't be able to move it without them. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to put it on something else for that reason, unless the crate happens to be on wheels. Otherwise, if you need to move the crate or cage or both for whatever reason, you really won't be able to. So if there's another place you could put it, that would be better. You'll need to buy the 141, because the add-on is just the sides and bottom of the cage (it doesn't have a top because you'd just use the top of the 141).

I had to use galvanized hardware cloth because I couldn't find the coated stuff, so it's good you already have some! ^_^ I'd put it on the outside of the cage, because it'll be easier to make sure Betty won't be able to hurt herself on pointy ends.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Vixie said:
lostbutnotforgot said:
The pan is entirely too shallow for litter, and things generally don't fall out of the cage.
Wow, really, things don't fall out for you? I swear my rats are pushing litter out, there's always so much on the floor it's ridiculous. I've just put up hardware mesh which has slowed everything down, but they're still getting it out. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My boys push bits of food out on occasion. Sometimes I give them treats and they push them right back out and then give me the puppy dog eyes (treat, mommy? Please?)

I've seen bits of litter rarely and an occasional poo, though.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well my rats do the oddest thing of carrying the Yesterday's News all over the cage. They'll put a bunch up top and some in a box or something. I don't know why they do it, and I've never heard of anyone else having a problem like that, but I guess if they enjoy it more power to them?

·
Registered
997 Posts
cjshrader said:
Vixie said:
lostbutnotforgot said:
Wow, really, things don't fall out for you? I swear my rats are pushing litter out, there's always so much on the floor it's ridiculous. I've just put up hardware mesh which has slowed everything down, but they're still getting it out. I'm jealous.
Lol, I think I should revise what I said.

Carefreash WILL be thrown about. I use YN(heavier, doesn't get kicked out as easily) and do daily spotcleans before and after school, also.

·
Registered
997 Posts
cjshrader said:
Well my rats do the oddest thing of carrying the Yesterday's News all over the cage. They'll put a bunch up top and some in a box or something. I don't know why they do it, and I've never heard of anyone else having a problem like that, but I guess if they enjoy it more power to them?
Lol, well then, they just don't like thye way you place things!

Seriously, rats are such perfectionists in their messes. xD

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks for all the help!!

Invest in a small vacuum
I vacuum my room weekly with a Dyson Slim, which could not actually go into the cage, but does have a hose attached to it which I always use anyways, would this work just as well or will I need to vacuum more than once a week and/or also invest in a smaller (handheld?) vacuum?

One more question I've thought of;
When buying fleece about how many feet should I buy if I want to cover the bottom floor, one shelf and have some left over for hammocks and bedding?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Vaccum hoses work well, just be careful not to clog them (especially if you're using Carefresh anywhere. :lol: )

·
Registered
730 Posts
Oooh man. My bRats kick all kinds of litter, poop and food out of the FN. I'll get a picture of it today (cage cleaning day). It's helped since I covered the bottom nhalf of the cage though.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Ok, here we go then ;). This is a week since last cleaning.

The mess isn't so bad now that I have a vacuum cleaner, but I went one cage cleaning without one.. Ick. I still find it by fat the easiest cage to clean. I love the fact that I don't have to lift anything. As far as scrubbing down goes it's on par with my old R-695, but only if the old cage is already through the narrow hall, down the stairs and in the driveway ;). Oh, and magically back in my room... This was the smartest purchase I've ever made.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts