Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...
-There is a pet shop on our mall (big surprise).
-They occasionally, once in a blue moon, get a few rats and sell them for pets. They are usually good quality ratties.
-They are pretty good about their animals, they use Carefresh an everything.
-The few times I have seen rats there, they have been feeding them Gerbil and Hamster mix >_< Ugh. But the rats seem to "fly off the shelf" there.

So... today they had a baby Dumbo male.. all by himself, he looked sad. I asked to hold him.. and he was jumpy.. he cringed when I stroked his head.
They are selling him for $20. And they are feeding him the same ol' hamster and gerbil seed mix.
I couldn't really bring him home seeing as I just got a young female recently, and I also have another female. My mom is still kinda sore about the newest addition - forget about adding a boy in the house!

SO I finally took a deep breath and told the employees that the rat was being fed the wrong food. I explained it does nothing for them, might stunt his growth, etc. They said that they are told to feed him that, and will get in trouble if they feed him anything else.

Heres when the FUN begins - I worked for that particular pet shop (for a whole 2 weekends) cleaning puppy cages and giving them preventative pills.. and treating some sick ones. I learned that the vet comes and checks the puppies every Wednesday. I learned that it is in fact, MY vet that I have gone to for years and quite frequently (my dog is getin older, hes starting a list of problems). I actually HAVE their phone number in my cell phone. So... I simply walked away from the store and called my vet! I had to leave a message with a receptionist girl.. who I explained everything to quite clearly.. and she had no knowledge of rats, I think I had her adoring rats by the end of our conversation Lolz.

When I got home a bit ago.. my mom says .. "The vet called."
Apparently the vet immediately called the pet shop and scolded them, hardcore. LOL.
So.. she is in there every Wednesday.. they should hopefully behave!

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's an awesome story actually.
Too bad about the little boy though =(. If I lived even remotely close to your area he'd be mine in a flash <3.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Kudos to you!

I wish I heard a lot more stories like that, but, unfortunately, that is the very first one I have ever heard. D:

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's awesome! :D The vet I take my girls to is right next door to a pet store that keeps their animals on pine (Not the store I got my girls from. This is yet ANOTHER store--different company even--that keeps them on pine). Next time I take the girls in for something I'll have to tell the vet about that and see if they can go over and have a talk with that pet store.

A rat is not just a "rat." It's an animal with health requirements just like every other living creature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts