Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my two boys are fighting. These are my first boys. Remy I've had for a few weeks and I just got my new boy (who has yet to be named).

I introduced them & things went smoothly. But then I had them together in a cage and my girls out playing. My girls are fascinated by the new boy, and are going crazy climbing their cage & sitting on top letting him sniff their girly bits....

This seems to set off remy and the boys fight. I have read no blood no foul. And seeing them try to box in the hammock was absurd lol. So far they r just boxing and remy goes on his back.

Am I causing problems with the girls bothering them you think?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, I imagine that the presence of the girls is setting off some territorial instincts in the boys. That has to happen sometime, so you might as well get it out of the way and let them work things out.

I did read that the boxing stance is an aggressive move. I don't know enough to worry if that predicates potential bloodshed. I'd err on the side of caution and keep them separate when you're not around, but I would imagine that they'll calm down enough.

I've not dealt with male rats vying for female attention, so take my post with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
They will definitely be triggered by unfixed females. I experienced this with my own boys. I would recommend trying to keep the girls away, especially if they are in heat.

I mean, you're right about no blood no foul, and maybe it won't be a big deal. But my boys (four in one cage) went a bit coocoo pinning each other when the girls were in heat, to the point where I moved the girls out of the room. Just the smell of the pheromones set em off, heh. Same with the girls, btw. THey'd scrap when they were in heat and a male was nearby.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts