Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am from Australia, and i am owned by two BEAUTIFUL ratty girls Dragon(Mink Berkshire, Silvered and Ticked) and Cameo(PEW who i suspect to be an Albino Mink!) and i couldn't ask for two better rats!!!

Anyway I stumbled across the place while searching on Google to see where i could find Lab Blocks in my local area...

Anyway... I am sure i will love it here, as my life is now ruled by anything to do with Rats...

Oh... Dragon turns one on the 14th of August, and Cams turns one on the 7th of next month!

Figgy.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yay, thats absolutely RIGHT Kimmiekins!

Just letting you guys know... I rescued 13 rats from a shop that was selling them to be Snake food! (they were kept out in the cold, and sold in prices according to how fat/big they were... Basically meaning the more that they will fill your snake up!)

I'm not keeping all of them! In fact some of them are going to my friend in Melbourne who has 33 Ratties!

Anyway, they range in sizes quite a bit!

There is Little Boy Blue (he is staying with me!), he is only about four weeks old!(And the guy said that they had been there for two weeks! So he would have only just opened his eyes when he got there!
Obviously he is TINY!
He looks kinda blue, but i suspect he might actually turn out to be mink... I hope he is a blue though!

The biggest of the lot is Duke, he is going to my friend... He is kind of Argente coloured, with pink eyes and a white tummy! I don't really know how to gage the boys ages, but i would say he is at least 1...

There are three girls in the lot... All of whom are probably pregnant (they were kept in the same cage!) One of whom I now for sure is...

Her name is Charlotte, and she is a Black Down Under, with the white Down Under mark... She is absolutely PRECIOUS, and about to pop any day now!

One of the other girls is an exact copy of Dragon, but she is a rex...

The other girl, her sister, is also a rex, but a darkish colour... She has one identical brother, and their Dad is a black rex...

There is one Cinnamon boy with white tummy, One black Down Under boy, brother of Charlotte.

There are three black hooded boys, one named Flash Gordon(also known as Quiver) he has a white, lop sided stripe across his face.

And one Mink hooded boy named Hugo!

Anyway, these guys are no longer to be snake chow! YAY!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A lot of the snake food ones here are PEWs... Just like my Camsy baby!

Do you think that makes it easier for them to do it?

Anyway, there is some place near Sydney, that Snake owners can go to, and the rats are all inbred and un-healthy, missing limbs, growing tumours... And so they get them really cheap, breed them as long as they survive, then feed them to the snakes... And then when it comes to hibernation time they freeze the adults or whatever... I dont know why these people would be doing that now... Perhaps they just have a heap of rats all thrown in together, and if they breed, so be it... And then after a certain amount of time, or when they think there are too many rats in there, they take them to this shop?

I don't know, just a theory...

I am waiting for Charlotte to pop! It has to be the next day or two, definately!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hm #1) A lot of feeder breeders do just let the rats breed whenever the want to, and not only is inbreeding rats disgusting...the fact that they're unhealthy HAS to be unhealthy for the snakes.

#2) I'm hoping that Charlotte is one of the rats that you've just rescued...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
renay said:
#2) I'm hoping that Charlotte is one of the rats that you've just rescued...
She said Charlotte was one of those, yes.

Figment, do you have any pics of Charlotte? I haven't seen many Down Under markings. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, she is one of the three preggers girls that i rescued...

Sorry Forensic, she is actually a berky! When I first got her she was all squirmy, and she was really scared about letting me look at her belly... I kinda thought she was a Down Under, but now that i can check it properly, i see that she isn't... I just got into the habit of saying that she was a Down Under i guess... :oops:

Anyway, she is still a gorgeous girl, and the misunderstanding has made her no less so!

You can see how beautiful she really is when she looks you right in the eyes... And you know that she "knows."

Even though she is not a Down Under, Here is a pick of her Berky marking!

I was trying to get a shot that would show how big her tummy is! Best examples were able to be found when she was running around and climbing on things!

And just for the heck of it... Here is Griffon... Dragon's Rex-y doppleganger! (her eyes aren't pink, or even ruby... Just the flash reflecting...)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Aw, she's precious anyway. Now that's a BIG berkie tummy. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, the vet said she was really close... "looks like she's about to explode"

She's pretty calm at the moment... So maybe later today or tonight... She seemed a bit frantic earlier though... But she's gone to sleep now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I swear, since i took those photos, she looks bigger!

Perhaps it is just the fact that i stayed awake those eight hours that i should have been sleeping...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts