Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after many attempts to find Mister Sniffles a cage mate I may have finally found him one. I have been doing intro's with him and my new boy sebastian since i got the clear check up from my vet and things went well in the bath tub. After that I introduced them on the couch and all seemed well there. they got plenty of playtime together through out the day and since today was heavy duty cage cleaning day I thought why not try putting them together. Sebastian can probably fit between the bars but he has never showed any interest of coming out of the cage with out my shoulder there. So i put them on the couch to play while i started getting set up. I then put Mister sniffles in sebastian's cage and sebastian in Mister Sniffles cage and everything was fine. I put them both in sebastians cleaned out cage while I cleaned out sniffs and there was one small tiff but not any squeaking just some boxing. I out them in the bigger better cage after everything was cleaned out with an igloo only Sebastian could fit into and watched for two hours. There was nothing they ate together and rough housed. Sniffs is still trying to make sebastian understand that he is bigger but nothing serious has occured. I think Sebastian and Sniffs are going to be very happy together! Thank goodness. Ever since Sniffs first cage mate passed (Gir) he was not the same rat i brought home. He got manic depressive and stopped grooming himself and stopped eating for a while but slowly he came back around to me. Then when I tried intro's with other boys he would freeze in terror and get his butt beat bad. Sebastian is only about 6 weeks old maybe 7 by now so I think that has alot to do with it. *keeps my fingers crossed* hopefully they will continue this behavior!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Ooh, good luck! Great progress so far. I have read that, whilst is is more risky to introduce young rats to adult males, they are less likely to feel threatened by them. :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i have been worried about sniffs because of losing gir (he was really bad i thought we were going to loe him) and with working with him he got better. He is a very musky male and very territorial and i got steve and little man originally for sniffs but even as babies he wanted nothing to do with them. Sebastian on the other hand has a personality much like gir's and all seems to be going great. I had to get up once last night because i heard a baby squeak to check on them but sniffs was just grooming sebastian LoL they cuddle together and everything sniffs doesn't seem much happier yet but I am sure in time i will see a different side of sniffs.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Sounds like you've cracked it this time, then :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's hoping LOL sniffs went out for a walk with me today and he didn't have any nervous poo's or pee's so i think he is finally calming down a bit!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Great to hear you found someone for your rattie!! Hope you post pics of ur boyz soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts