Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So mother dearest has approved me of getting TWO rats!! haha I have them reserved as I want to get the cage set up before bringing them home. Im not too sure of their age but they are both young brothers. Ones blackish and the other tanned (ill definately have pics) Im definately super excited lol

So here are a few questions about bedding and other items

Is Hemp bedding ok?
Is Cage Liner ok?(you put it under the bedding to soak up more)
Is the Universal Diet for Rats ok?

Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
CongRats! What kind of cage did you get?

"Is Hemp bedding ok?"

Yes, actually I've heard great things about hemp bedding.

"Is Cage Liner ok?(you put it under the bedding to soak up more)"

Probably? They might chew it, but I'd imagine it's made from safe material.

"Is the Universal Diet for Rats ok?"

Definitely no, check out the diet sticky in the Rat Health section of this forum :).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I have read around that the Universal type diet is no good. BUt just as a curious question...is there any type of other animal food (rabbit, hamster etc.) That can be substituted for a rat diet? I read about the Suebees diet which works fine just Im on a limited amount of money and it would be alot easier to just get a single bag of food if you know what I mean. Is there any less complcated food you can feed them?

And just to answer any questions, yes they are pet store rats. I have heard the horror stories behind getting rats there but I think I did the right thing. I stood for almost a good hour and watched them. They are definately hyper active little boys. The started to play with eachother, then would groom eachother, play a little more then sleep for about a minute. Then repeat(lol)

Also there seemed to be nothing "physically" sick about them and they did end up eating and they both seem very healthy.

So ya is there any single bagged food (rabbit hamster etc) That I can feed instead (some sort of pellet maybe?) or is there a more simple food mix than Suebuee I can use?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
you cannot feed those food to the rats because rats require an entirely different diet

their nutritional needs are vastly different than that of a rabbit or hamster

You will have to do the mixes or find the block if you get the rats... if you already have the rats, you need to get the right food quickly because those other foods a filled with stuff the rats cannot digest

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nonono dont worry I wont have them until thursday and thats why im asking now.

Do you guys know any good food mixes besides Suebees??

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you're worried about cost Suebees mix + dog food lasts much longer than a bag of seed mix and in the end will cost much less. I spend about $10 dollars on dog food for two months and maybe that much on the Suebees that lasts just as long (I have 4 rats), the Suebees is cheaper if you get your ingredients from bulk bins. I keep half the bag of dog food in the freezer to keep it fresh (along with the chin food we hardly have room for our food :roll:)

If you go grocery shopping with you mom/dad you can gather your stuff while they are buying food for the week. You can pick up bags of frozen veggies for about $1 to supplement their diets as well

edited because I don't know why that word was there

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The closest pet store from wear i live is the Pet Crazy in Woodstock (which is where im getting my rats).

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
as far as i know, there is not a place in all of NB that sells lab blocks suitable for rats. you will to order it online (the links posted above are where to get them for as far as i know. there are a few people around that go in on a bulk order to split the cost of it though). however, there are alternatives to the lab block and suebees mix. its just not AS GOOD as those are. personally i use dog kibble as a staple then supplement with fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables. i also feed them the good stuff that we eat during the day-its just a matter of putting on a little extra for them when i make my meals. however, this is much more of a hit and miss on their diet needs and will vary depending on what your normal diet is. here we eat a good deal of meat and pasta (this is why the rats have their own supply of fruit and vegetables).

i know you have your heart set on these two males but i just want to make you aware of the rat rescue in moncton and these rats http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-pets...andsome-boy-Rats-Very-sweet-W0QQAdIdZ34857624 (they are in fredericton but i can get them into saint john next weekend and we could arrange transport closer to woodstock if you are interested) and these rats http://www.frederictonspca.ca/other_rats.php i know the person they are working with, she has travelled all the way to ontario to transprt rats to their forever homes, i'm sure she could arrange something for woodstock. of course, you are not obliged to take these rats in over the ones you found in the store, i just want you to know that they exist as an option as well.

edit: i just read that you are from ontario--should have checked that before posting...doh! but i blame the provinces for having the same names for places! there's a woodstock here in NB as well... in any case, you may want to check kijiji.ca to see if there are rats in your area and check the local shelters too to see if they are working with anyone in finding some rats some homes. again, only a suggestion, you don't have to follow it (i've gotten rats from a pet store myself and they are real dolls so i can completely understand if that's the route you'd rather go in too).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha Ya ive been to Woodstock, NB for the McCain pace they have at the racetrack once a year lol. Im not really aware of any shelter around my area that have rats, and a pet store is the easiest and most convient for myself and everyone I live with.

Now the two boys I plan on getting love to climb (I got to play with them today on my spare and they are so hilarious) Does anyone know any good ideas for things to climb? I was thinking a small cat scratch post that they could fool around on?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live near Norwich ontario, its about 20 minutes south of woodstock which is where im getting the rats

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Hmmm...In Woodstock you have Pet Valu, Global Pet Foods (they might order in for you) and I have recently heard that Living World Hamster Extrusion Blocks are actually a decent substitute, and they can be found at some Walmarts.

I was looking for a PetSmart but I couldn't find one. :( There you can get the Mazuri lab blocks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my bf and I are heading to wal mart tonight to get everything for the cage (haha he helped convince mother!!). Ill take a look for that hamster block thing.

Plus I figured it would be a good idea to have the cage set up BEFORE bringing my babies home lol.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mazuri is a good rat diet? I have a petsmart near me and that would be cool.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if you can't get harland teklad then Mazuri blocks are another good choice for rats....pet stores should carry it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts