Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we've all been there. something unexpected comes up and suddenly we don't have money for that emergency vet bill. some of us can rely on our parents or friends when in need but others can't. some of us are older then 16 and so go get a burger flipping job others are not yet legally allowed to work shift work like that yet.

on another thread ( http://ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=10725.html#10725 ) this topic was already brought up but sporadically throughout and with specific reference to one member. i invite you now to post again different ideas on how to get money if you're underage or can't rely on others for help and need money fast. telling us which method worked best for you as well. which was the fastest, easist to get going and which brought in the most profit for you. this is to keep all the information together for easy reference by others.

i will get us started. for me its more of an issue of effective money managing. i tally up all the money i'll get that month. then subtract all the bills. then i'll go through week by week for that same month and average the range of money i'll be getting that week (from lowest to highest) and subtract that week's bill. this will give me an excellent record of when and where the money goes. i make sure to budget in $100 every 2 weeks for personal spending. you KNOW you're going to spend so its best to set aside a little bit to do that with. what's left over is then divided between an emergency can and a vet fund can in 2 thirds one can 1 third the other. depending on which is most depleted that one will get the heavier thrid. if they're both pretty good then the emergency fund gets the heavier third. this has worked great for me for the past year and a half but now i'm out on my own and there's more bills, we'll see how it goes but in theory its still sound.

when i was younger i didn't have any bills but i also didn't have routine money coming in either. then i just saved up my b-day, christmas and lunch money. by the end of 12 months i had enough money to spend at the frex for the full week it was there and enough to buy some gifts for the family at christmas. though i only went on rides on bracelet days and my grandmother paid for last night when she went. mind you we got in free because she was in a wheel chair and i pushed her. we went to play the games mostly. anyway, my point is that i had enough money to spend a weeks worth of time in a fair and not worry about it. sometimes i even had money left over after that. and its not like i saved EVERY penny but most.

mind you i still have times when the can doesn't cut it or too many things have happened and the can is depleted luckily i do have family that i can fall back to. though i have also sold some old games and made a few crafts and sold them to gather money quickly.

Edit

For ease, the following is a list of examples given my members in this thread of ways to raise money (in order):

* Tutoring - dance, art, music, school classes etc
* Knitting, crocheting, sewing things for sale - rat/human related
* Selling artwork for commission
* Babysitting
* Doing chores around the house (for younger owners)
* Odd jobs for relatives, car washing etc
* Ask your parents for an allowance, if one is not provided
* Giving your number to local business incase they need a 'day person'
* Putting your name to temp agencies for work every now and again
* Applying to large offices for filing positions
* Donating blood and plasma
* Applying for medical research studies
* Organising shows for local organisations
* Selling things on Ebay/craigslist or equivalent
* Making homemade clothes/accessories to sell
* Contact tele-marketing agencies for work
* Dog walking
* Pet sitting
* Applying to restaurants for work
* Saving birthday/christmas money
* Mommie's Helper jobs

·
Registered
638 Posts
Just a thought...

Were you given music lessons as a child?

Art lessons?

Dance lessons?

Singing/Acting lessons?

Sports lessons?

Were you gifted in a particular subject in school?

Even if you don't know a LOT, you could offer to "tutor" people younger and/or less experienced than you are. You don't have to know everything...you just have to know more than your student does. (You can be upfront with them, too, if your knowledge is limited. Say, "I can give you a start, and teach you for about two years. After that, you'll need to find a more advanced teacher.")

When figurimg out what to charge, keep in mind the usual fees for such things in your area. If you have to travel to them, allow for time and gas money. If you have to BRING something to them, charge what's called a "cartage fee." That means, in short, "If I have to lug this stuff around, you have to pay me more."

----------------------------------------

If any other ideas occur, I'll post again.

:idea: Is there such a thing as a "rat consultant?" ;)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I knit and crochet things when I need extra cash. Also I used to babysit, clean yards, car washes, lemon aid stands, home made candy and cookies, garage sales, and a paper route.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stephanie-of all things you do to raise money which was most successful for you? time spent on it VS profit

·
Registered
212 Posts
I do artwork for commission for extra money when i have the time. I only do it on the side though, as i have part-time job that pays pretty well, and College doesn't leave much time for me to do as much as i'd like.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
probably my knitting and crocheting you would be amazed at how many people want custom made blankets but I have ALOT of experience with it and make my own patterns. I would say for a younger person that the babysitting was the most rewarding as well as lawn clean up and car washes. Since I am a stay at home mom I rely on my hubby to give me money most of the time but when I want something done ASAP and we are waiting on a paycheck I always make some scarves and blankets and sweaters and stuff and sell them on craigslist. I love making things and I can make a full sized blanket in less than two days. I actually just came across a pattern to make tiny mice and i reworked it into a rat I am going to make a bunch and sell them to benefit one of the local rat rescues. Let me know if you want some twitch they are adorable LOL (selling for 1 dollar)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd say babysitting is the way to go! my average payment is 5 $ an hour, and my average job is 7 hours (six pm to one am). One job is enough to pay my exotics vet for a check up!

edit- though I've never done this, I've often seen home made rat toys/ treats at smaller pet stores.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
babysitting seems to be popular, but how easy a job is it to find now? do the parents ask any requirements like completion of a babysitting or first aid course? do you often need references? how do you advertise yourself? what is common pay for a babysitter? with minimum wage being just about $7 now i can't see many people wanting to pay a whole lot, in fact $5 seems pricey. do you tallor you fees to the financial situation of the parent and if so how do you decide what's fair?

·
Registered
85 Posts
My son is 10 and has two rats. He does chores for me around the house and get paid. When he needs extra money he does extra chores. So maybe you can work something out with your mom and dad to earn a little extra money. My son made a up a list of chores and how much he wants for those chores. We sat down and went through the list and compromised on some of the pricey chores like $2.00 to clean the toilet. I signed the list when we agreed on everything and he has it hanging up in his room. Now when he wants something like a new animal, game, book, etc., he goes through the list and gets paid extra.

His normal chores consist of taking out the trash, setting and clearing the dinner table. He gets paid $20 a month for this.

Extras include washing dishes, cleaning the toilet, vacuuming the stairs, hallway, and living room, cleaning some of moms cages, helping with the laundry and dusting. There is more but I can't remember them all.

Also, grandparents, aunts, uncles etc. can be great for extra money too. My son this year is going to ask them if he can come help them pick up the yard of all the sticks for some money this spring. My parents would be more than happy to have the help and would be more than willing to pay him for it.

Another thing my son is doing this year is getting rid of alot of stuffed animals and board games and just odds and ends in his room that he doesn't want or use anymore. My sister is having a yard sale in a couple of weeks and he is putting things in boxes and bags for the yard sale that he wants to sell.

These are just suggestions, but I feel that it will at least show some responsibility on a childs part. Be reminded that responsibility also includes taking care of your own animals such as cleaning and feeding. If my son doesn't do his part then there are no more animals. So far he is doing very well and I have to rarely remind him.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ive babysat(not regularly), done a bunch of chores, done car washes, and gotten money on holidays like my birthday and christmas. Babysitting pays pretty good but I don't do it that much, car washes are really good, chores give me a few extra bucks, and holidays give me a lot...but only a couple times a year.

As far as carwashing goes....i once bought that Mr Clean car washing soap and rinsing thing that attaches to your hose and I'd wash all my neighbors cars and even subtracting the cost of the supplies I made decent money....or maybe my neighbors were generous?...JK

I might do a juice stand this summer with this cool new juicer we got that you can put whole fruits or vegies in and it turns them straight into juice!

Just throwing in my two cents.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you leave a name and number around local business's, sometimes they'll call you up. I've done day work roofing, moving plants, gardening, setting up sound equipment, and catering this way. Typically people will pay you more than you deserve for this, due to the "hassle". Its not a reliable way to make money, but it may kick in a few extra bucks here and there.

Also, at the resturant where I work, I know of at least one dishwasher who is under aged and paid under the table.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Also, this sounds simple, but if you are of working age, putting your name in with a temp agency is one of the best ways to get a job fast. You don't have to pay to get listed with them, and they do all the hard work. You do have to be flexible...I started my job with about 3 hours notice, but hey it's a job! They also pay a lot better then burger jobs...I think the minimum most companies pay is like $9.00 an hour. I know I have gotten up to $15.00 an hour for some jobs (not this one sadly). Also if you don't like a job that they give you, you can request a change.

Yeah, so, if you are of HS or college age and looking for a job this is something to think about.

Emy

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm trying to start getting into babysitting so I can buy a FN 142 cage that all together cost $162. I have have know idea on how to get started. I don't know anyone that needs a babysitter. Well except for my sister but they won't pay me .... Anyone have any ideas on how I can get the ball rolling (quickly!)? Or if you have any other idea's on making money.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got luck and found a 50 on the sidewalk, did the good-person's thing and asked around for missing money, and ended up splitting it with the friend I found it with. Bought $20 worth of candy at Costco in bulk and, yes, sold it at school (people were like, "That's so retarted, you're selling candy? ... um.... what kind do you have again...?"). It took 2 weeks to make over 60 bucks out of nothing. Not too bad XD But a lot of luck.

So- ENTREPRENUE!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most large offices will hire anyone in High School (sometimes middle school) that can, well... read and think, to do their excess filling during busy times of year.

Ask around!..

I don't know what the busy times are for most businesses, but my mum is an accountant, and they were always hiring whatever help they could get (including me) come April.

Another idea is donating plasma... it sounds scary, but it's really no worse than donating blood... it's not good for steady income, and it doesn't pay that much (it depends on where you're located) but I used it once to cover an unexpected emergency bill for my hedgie... plus, you're helping people in need, so it feels pretty good.

Another thing to consider in the medical field is medical research studies. As long as you go with a reputable drug company or university, they are usually very safe and well monitored... you get paid for your time (usually anywhere from $50-200 depending on the length of the study and the effort involved)... you also might get a great benefit out of it... I have keritosis polaris (it's a skin disorder) and I found the only treatment that really works for me at a medical study at UTA... plus I got paid!!
(Only downside... you usually have to be 18, or have parent's consent, and you usually have to have some rare, serious, or heavily researched condition..)

One thing to AVOID at all cost, ladies, despite the lure of seductive advertising, is egg donation... this will severely mess up your body and can even KILL YOU. I don't care how much they promise to pay you, it's not worth it.. plus, many companies are shady and will never give you your money.. this can make you seriously ill and you might never be able to have children...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i babysit, but the only thing is i only babysit in the summer, and that money goes fast paying for rat food and bedding and stuff, but i get money on holidays too, i also have a garage sale like...once a year

·
Registered
28 Posts
here is what i do

1 i breed ball python's and corn snake's
2 i help out my cousin who also breed's reptile's clean cage's .etc.
3 i can get ball python's wholesale for about 8 buck's each and retail of about 50 buck's
4 i get 7 buck's a week from my folk's
[ and im only 13 ]

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wish I could still babysit. I'm really wonderful with kids... but unfortunately, a lot of parents don't like me since I have my nose, lip, and eyebrow pierced, i have like 15 ear piercings, and colored hair a lot of the time.

I'm in between jobs right now.. I'm 18, still living at home, but I pay for all my own things. Luckily my mom is lending me money to take care of my rats and mice until I find a new job, which shouldn't be too long.

But I'm starting to set up shows with a friend. We're going to be booking local punk bands and selling Buffalo band compilation cds.. and I'm going to try and sell some knitted winter hats I'm making (actually really cool... they're knitted hats with mohawks haha, should be a big seller) and stuffed animal backpacks I make from scratch. I make shirts, skirts, various bags, and patches as well. I'm still working on perfecting making pants, jackets, and hoodies from scratch, but those will be perfected quickly. :)

I really want to start a dog walking job as well, but not many people in my area would really go for that kind of thing..

Blah I need a job.

·
Registered
928 Posts
hey havnt been here for a long time! but im back! luckly i have a wonderful mom who says that if i dont have enough money to pay for the rats then she will help me out as she dosnt agree with animals going without as its not their fault if they get ill ect! so every time i come in to money i give my mom half of it to pay her back ect! at the moment im about to start a bar job! and i had irregular babysitting like radical i have a few peircings lol 20 altogether normaly have pink hair and have 3 tattoos! but my moms friends trust me! probly because they are the same as me lol and they have paided for my tattoos or dyed my hair!! if worst came to worst i think i would have to get a paper round!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think if you want the least amount of work for the biggest profit babysitting is definitely the way to go. The kids normally go to bed pretty easily and after that its just being paid to watch tv :lol:. I also have a paper round and that doesnt pay badly. as long as you find one where you dont have to do much sorting of papers etc. it is an easy job. but then again my mum helps aswell....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts