Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i live in london and my mum has barely let me get a rat. so now all i have to do is get one, right? well its not tht easy i cant find anyy shops tht sell rats. all they have is empty cages and a few hamsters. and i cant find any breaders in london, plus my mum doesnt reli get the hole breadin thing. she thinks there just some big mice tht we can get frm our back garden. so she really isnt prepared to drive out to surry or sumin to get some "disgusting big mouse".WHT DO I DOOO. if anyone knows of breaders or shops or suming!
thnx 4 ur help

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey , im from just outside london and there a big chain pet store called Pets at home that sell normal rats and dumbos (i keep dumbos coz i think their much cuter!) You shouldnt have much trouble finding one near you.Good luck!

·
Registered
194 Posts
please don't go to the chain stores, as corporations they do not care about the animals they sell. i work at a small pet shop that feeds wonderful food, cleans cages everyday and sends animals out fully tame. we have animals just out of their cages all day running around having a great time.

we have calls from people every week saying they need a rabbit after their rabbit from pets at home died after two weeks. it's not to say that the staff don't care about the animals but it is just a supermarket at the end of the day. people come to us to spend £6 on a rat after spending £100 on cages and equipment at pets at home. i am actually shaking with anger having to write this, i get so annoyed with pet's at home. customers get the advice and the animal from us and give the big money to the corporatios as we struggle. Pets at home and pampurred pets often keep rats on sawdust too.

we are well known in the portsmouth area for having a great reputation and being animal lovers and the joke is most of the animals at the moment are not for sale - we have ernie the shop rabbit and sydney the cockatoo - so many attractions, who are happy!

look in your yellow pages for small independent pet stores in london, i even saw one in high street kensington!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey , i think all that you stand for is great but sometimes , in some areas , finding a rat can be very difficult.I ,like you, would like to live my life totally mass consumer free , but in this day and age its getting more and more difficult.Maybe small petshops go un noticed , the last one near me got shut down due to hygene problems.I know chain stores arent great , but at least there in the "limelight" enough to know that unless standards are met they will be shut down.Alls im saying is if you can give an animal some love , does it matter where it comes from? We could debate this all day , but i bet you still shop in Tesco,Sainsbury,Asda.Its the same thing , only human lives are involved.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You also have to think that its not the corporation bosses that are responsible for the animals welfare , its more often than not people with a genuine love of animals that want to work in a pet shop who are directly responsible for taking care of the animals while they are there , and you know that in a pet "supermarket" they arent going to struggle for fresh bedding , litter etc.
The worst , smelliest most cruel pet shop ive ever been into was privately owned , im talking geckos in 1ft x 1ft tanks , 15-20 rats per very small fish tank , probably feeders as well as pets now i look back on it.Glad to say that pet shop is no more.
Anyway , capitalism is a bitch , its also the reason why we live so comfortably , were all guilty of keeping the fat cats where they are in one way or another , so take a chill pill or do a Che Guevara.
At the end of the day your only bitching because your not at the top of the food chain.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, il keep tht in mind, but i think i will just try to convince my mum to drive me to a breeder!!!i hope she will!. thnx 4 all ur help

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hello hello hello! I am from East London, and in Bow (Roman Road) there is a wicked pet shop called Magri's pets, where I got my little Edgar. He's lovely, quite shy but still very friendly and silly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts