Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so this girl I met is going to need to get rid of her 4 females as she is moving and can't keep them and I've been wanting rats. So being the kind of person I am I offered to take them hehe. I spoke with the girl and she said if you stick your finger through the bars they bite. I asked if they we're just "tasting" to see if it was food and she told me no that they bite hard enough to draw blood but don't bite any other time. Is there a way to stop them from doing this in case say someone sticks their finger in? I don't want anyone to get bit.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'll make bets someone was feeding them through the bars. Some get really excited about a treat and grab fast to get it before someone else does. I sometimes give treats through the bars, but I mostly just put my fingers in so they know better than to be grabby right off the bat. Most treats I just open the door to give. I'm going to guess if you were training this out of them, it may mean some ouchy fingers. Stop feeding any treats through bars at all so there is no confusion.

However it's possible that they are territorial of their cage. One of my girls is a little weird about her cage, not to us humans, but sometimes when the boys are out they go look in girls cage and she will bite them if she can. She has mistaken me for an intruder and bit-luckily she is careful enough to realize her mistake fast and has never drawn blood.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
My girls tend to grab anything near the cage as well, even though they do not bite otherwise. Not sure what to do about that. Maybe put up "Danger" signs, haha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts