Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bird Vertebrate Pet supply Bird supply Parrot

okayyyy! so my dad built my cage about a week ago and i meant to post here but i forgot hehe, i have since adjusted the yellow hammock and tube in the middle slightly and added like a wreath chew thing btw, but yeah i mean it's not as impressive as some other cages i've seen but for a first time setup it dont think its too bad! i might pick up something small extra tmrw like some extra chews to screw on to the doors (you cant see the ones i have already in this pic lol) but i wont be getting anything more big for a little bit coz i already spent, uhhh quite a lot on the cage and accessories... oops!

my girls are ready to pick up in a few days (probably the 12th) and i'm soooo excited! i'll put in the food, litter, bedding etc the night before i get them but yeah!

please tell me what you think of my setup, thx!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Looks great! I like your use of netting and hammocks for fall protection. Remember you can always add free things in there at the bottom like cardboard boxes, toilet paper or kitchen towel rolls, fleece scraps. They lovvveee to destroy and nest with scraps and you can just use whatever you have lying around at home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great! I like your use of netting and hammocks for fall protection. Remember you can always add free things in there at the bottom like cardboard boxes, toilet paper or kitchen towel rolls, fleece scraps. They lovvveee to destroy and nest with scraps and you can just use whatever you have lying around at home.
ah yeah i was planning to add some cardboard scraps in when i added the bedding, i like the cardboard box idea btw! i'll do that too :)

p.s. i also have a foraging wheel on the door i forgot to mention hehe

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I love it! So much going on and things to climb on. And don't forget a litter box!! I love it when I see one of my boys wake up, climb out of the hammock and go to the box for a nice poop 😅 Your girls will learn to use it, and if you can get 75-80% in the box it's a win-win!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love it! So much going on and things to climb on. And don't forget a litter box!! I love it when I see one of my boys wake up, climb out of the hammock and go to the box for a nice poop 😅 Your girls will learn to use it, and if you can get 75-80% in the box it's a win-win!!
aha i actually do have one in the corner but its a little hidden in the picture lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
My dad helped me build this too I recently got this I used all of my savings but it was worth it :) the other cage I was using was very hard to clean my rats liked it but it took me about 4 hours to clean on Sunday here it is
Pet supply Mesh Wood Gas Bird supply

·
Registered
420 Posts
I use dollhouses as hides for the floor area. They are easy to clean and add a great look. I find those at thrift stores and garage sales. I just remove any electronics if they have them. Soda boxes and cereal boxes are the best!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can you send a pic of your cage the doll houses are cool it probably looks like a little village but are they safe how do you know what kind of wood their made like pin cedar are toxic

·
Registered
420 Posts
My houses are plastic. If I thought of wooden one, I know the paints are usually non-toxic since kids will be playing with them. I'll pics when I get home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi I am a new rat owner I’ve had mine for about six months my rats are ally boys I have three their names are martie Louie and alfie I also have a critternation double how do you take out the middle ? And here’s my cage please tell me if you have any ideas :)
i actually have a liberta explorer cage, but it's quite similar to the critternation, for the middle level im not sure, when my dad built it he just didnt put it in, i assume there is a way to simply remove it, you might have to unscrew some things but it will be do-able, you can probably find instructions online

p.s.

i love your cage setup~ its so cluttered!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts