Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday we tried to introduce big boy Baloo to our to girls on neutral ground. It did not go very well. Baloo got defensive and attacked each girl. Nothing happened to them, except Dziunia lost a batch of fur. Surprisingly it did not deter her from approaching him once more. I have footage of this failed attempt. I may post, just have to edit for the important bit.
They had spend two days in cages side by side to smell each other. Maybe that's too little time. So now they are going to spend 3 or more days before the next try.
Any tips on how to proceed?

I read the intro sticky of course. The method of forced introduction is beyond imagination to me. I'm scared that the girls are so tiny, and he weighs almost as much as the two of them combined!

·
Registered
555 Posts
So yesterday we tried to introduce big boy Baloo to our to girls on neutral ground. It did not go very well. Baloo got defensive and attacked each girl. Nothing happened to them, except Dziunia lost a batch of fur. Surprisingly it did not deter her from approaching him once more. I have footage of this failed attempt. I may post, just have to edit for the important bit.
They had spend two days in cages side by side to smell each other. Maybe that's too little time. So now they are going to spend 3 or more days before the next try.
Any tips on how to proceed?

I read the intro sticky of course. The method of forced introduction is beyond imagination to me. I'm scared that the girls are so tiny, and he weighs almost as much as the two of them combined!
When I introduced my rats to each other, I put a little bit of water in the tub. Just enough to get their toes wet. Apparently this makes them uncomfortable and they work together to try and find a way out of the water. By the end of it, my girls were friends when the day before, I tried introducing them just on a towel covering the tub and my oldest rat got rough with my newer rat. Hopefully this helps! Good luck :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting idea with water. :) I'll try it. However, my girls jump like fleas, and can jump out of bath tub quite easily. Maybe water should be a handicap.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update : Yesterday we made a second attempt at introduction. I used a bath tub with shallow water this time. The result was a few wet ratties, a few floating poops, and a forged new friendship! When they dried Baloo went to the girls' cage and remained there. Even after I gave him option to return to his cage, he quickly ran back to the new friends. There were a few squabbles over the first hours, must have been some sort of hierarchy negotiations, I guess. Dziunia turned out to be the cage boss. And in the end even the tiny 300 gram Niunia pinned down the 650 gram Baloo to the floor and groomed him.

I really have to get them a bigger hammock. Right now they are asleep squeezed e in a rather small tent hammock. But they seem happy. :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Update : Yesterday we made a second attempt at introduction. I used a bath tub with shallow water this time. The result was a few wet ratties, a few floating poops, and a forged new friendship! When they dried Baloo went to the girls' cage and remained there. Even after I gave him option to return to his cage, he quickly ran back to the new friends. There were a few squabbles over the first hours, must have been some sort of hierarchy negotiations, I guess. Dziunia turned out to be the cage boss. And in the end even the tiny 300 gram Niunia pinned down the 650 gram Baloo to the floor and groomed him.

I really have to get them a bigger hammock. Right now they are asleep squeezed e in a rather small tent hammock. But they seem happy. :)
YAY! I'm glad the shallow water worked :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.