Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so past 3 days (how many days ive had my rats for) ive been hand feeding them treats/veggies. from inside teh cage to now outside of the cage about 5-10 inches from the cage door ( them coming to me) they kind of come out o the cage out on their own but very cautiously. and kind of lingers around the bed/around the cage. ive been puting my hand next to the door and even inside teh cage with gloves on. they smell my hand. even nibble/soft bite it. they avoid me petting them and geting anywhere on there body besides in front of their face.

so i decided to partake in the immersion training however i didnt take both of them out and i didnt take them out AWAY from teh cage. teh cage door was opend on my lap. i was able to take out riki but he was nervous and kept trying to run away from me i supported him with my hands he kept trying to run and i prevented it by rotating my hands back and forth and then i cupped him against my body then he was looking around and stopped trying to run. he clinged on my shirt ran up my shirt to my shoulder. on my back. ontop of my head. i was like omg.... i was a lil scared myself. then he came back down i cupped him again for a bit then he ran back in his cage

then moments later he decides to come out on his own on my lap. and then runs on the bathroom floor around the cage then runs back in his cage . while the other rat was scared kinda and sat in the corner i wanted to take him out to but ill attempt it tomorrow. then they both kind of went in the corner and i decided it was an attempt to pet them. they kinda ran away from me then as i kept trying ot pet them they finally let me. then eventually one of them fell asleep to my petting. then i moved the cage back to my bed. i took off my gloves and attempted to pet them. they both let me pet them with my bare finger. they didnt have their eyes closed but they didnt really flinch/move they let me. altho my hand was a bit shaky. So for tomorrow should i do the same thing? or should i actually go in the bathtub and put both of them in there with me? idk what to do.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Why are you wearing gloves?

Rats love to climb all over us. You will often find most rats naturally like to climb up and sit on your shoulder. Wearing something like a hoodie can make it a bit easier so they don't scratch your bare skin.

It sounds like things are going very well. I prefer to take them away from the cage like the bathtub for a good one on one session. But if they are coming out of their cage on their own to take food from you and climb on you then that is a good sign.

I want to note though that all rats have their own personalities. Some do not like to sit still and chill on a lap, though they may ride around on your shoulder. You have males so they do tend to be more cuddly & relaxed. But if they are young they still may be in the hyper on the go attitude. For example my girls and young boys will come see me, climb on me, give me kisses, sit on my shoulder, but then 2 secs later they are running off to play again. They come back to check in. My one boy will follow me all around, climb all over me but he never sits still lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they took food from my hand. i try extending the distance they sometimes dont go fo rit and sometimes do. but when they take the food they run back in their cage. they dont run around on me. they run around on the bed but not to close to me. only bounty i was almost able to pick up with the cupping method he came pretty upclose to me and didnt seem to be bothered by my hands. and bounty Somewhat lets me pet him. Riki seems to be a lil more cautious and a lil more aggressive and by that i mean he hides /runs away from me. but they both take food from my hand and they both run back in their cage right after. and thats awesome . tomorrow ill attempt the 1 on 1 session int he bathtub. should i put both of them in with me. or only 1 at a time? and for how long?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
You can either use the tub or for a little more freedom of movement you can use the bathroom floor. Rats take and stash food, or eat it where they feel you won't steal it back, don't take that personal. It's just their nature, I suspect rats think they are stealing the food we offer them as no rat would actually part with food for another rat.

One on one or doing both at a time depends mostly on you... If you multi-task well and you like more excitement then do both. If you prefer to concentrate on one rat at a time you do one at a time... With aggressive or biting rats, it's always one on one so you don't get distracted and bitten... but this does not seem to be your issue, so either way will work for you. Mostly try and be playful. Tease them a little, chase them a little and let them chase your hand... Oddly if you are having fun so will they. If your anxious, they will be too.

We're currently socializing a new rat pup who is coming along splendidly, getting to know a new furry friend and teaching her or him about life is one of the greatest experiences a rat owner can have... Remember, be engaging, let your rat(s) respond to you and reply to what they are telling or showing you and most of all have fun doing it. It sounds like you are off to a really good start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kk i think id have to agree with you. they're becoming really comfortable leaving their cage now . however i recently purchased a bigger cage ( Prevue Hendryx 485 ) and returning the smaller one. i believe theyll love a bigger one more.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Rats will get attached to secret nests they will make in your furniture or even walls, but overall they don't really get attached to a cage. Most rats eventually prefer out of rather than in a cage. They will however bond with their rat and human family. I started out with a very small cage which in all reality was fine because our rats were never in it other than to sleep. Even now with a larger cage our rats would prefer their secret nests which have now been handed down from generation to generation.

With new rats, your biggest concern is to build that special forever bond between you and your rats... a bigger cage is a nice to have... but it's no substitute for a great relationship.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts