Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My name is Riley, 22 years old, hailing from upstate NY!

I started off about 6 months ago with buying a singular male mouse. About a month ago, I purchased my second male mouse and now, 2 days ago, I purchased my first female rat. I had walked into the store expecting to buy 3 feeder female mice (I had massive enclosure and all the works set up for them, basically everything jumbo sized, waiting for them at home). But, as luck would have it, I walked out of the store with Molly.

Molly is a female Broken Marked black and white rat, unknown in age (though she's pretty young considering her size). She's a little skittish but after 2 days, she's taking treats directly from my hand and comes to the bars of her enclosure whenever she sees me. I haven't attempted to pick her up yet as I don't want to frighten the poor baby, but she's coming along nicely. She has a tendency to nibble, but it's not biting. I believes she just think's I'm food!

I'm very excited about my first rat, and plan to make a play pen of sorts when I get home from work tonight. I'm a little nervous because rats do differ from mice, but I think she'll do very well. She's already starting to come along wonderfully.

So hi, everyone! If you have any pointers for a first time rat owner, I would absolutely love to hear them. No advise will go amiss <3

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be posting pictures as soon as I get home! I'm currently at work and it's hard to upload them from here.

And yea, That's what I was kind of figuring (that how I ended up with my second mouse). As soon as I'm able, I'm going to buy a larger enclosure so I can house two. I'm hoping I'll be able to find a breeder with a semi-social rat.

(And hey Af =P)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm up in the Albany area

Edit - Also, silly question. When can I edit my profile and post in other areas...?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Until recently I lived in the albany area. I couldn't find any reputable breeders in the area. There are a few pet stores that take excellent care of their rats or you can contact Mainely rat rescue because they have a foster in the Albany area. If you need a vet, I know of two vets who see rats, one in east greenbush and another in slingers land.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would absolutely love that information, Chuck. I just moved up into this area and don't have a vet for Molly, or for my mice, which is pretty worrying for me. I would also love to know about the various places to look into more rats when the time comes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rochester isn't too horrible, actually. I'm in Schenectady. Only problem is, I drive, but I don't have my own car xD

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dr Chew at East Greenbush Animal Hospital. She has even owned rats and has experience with tumor removals, spats and neuters. Also The Village Animal Clinic also sees rats. They have two vets that see rats and staff who own rats. I've been to both and had great experiences

1 - 11 of 11 Posts