Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I was super thrilled to find this forum as I have just gotten 2 baby rats. Both males named Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, after the duo from Rome. They are from the same litter, 5 weeks old precisely today, the only males in their litter.

One is Beige (Lucius), and the other is Chocolate (Titus). For the moment, I have no questions, the forum has been very useful so far, and I'm sure they will undoubtedly come as I've only been in possession of my rat babies for about 4 hours.

So hi all! I promise I'll put up pictures of them soon!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm super happy.

I've attached 2 pictures, though one is jut rat butts. ;)

So far so good, I'm in Switzerland so they've had a full night here in which they played with their toys and chews! I am pleased as punch, I was worried they wouldn't want them, but all is well. They also flipped the bed I got them and put it over their food and water bowls, clearly they like eating in bed.

My main concern was my dog, I have an Italian Greyhound, ie, bred hunting dog and apparently once used as mousers, gulp, but happily, she is at most curious. When I had Titus in my hand, firmly gripped, they were both happy to just snuffle each other. So I think she'll be alright, though they will never ever be left alone together with the rats free ranging. No way. I'm pretty sure soon she'll be as afraid of them as she is of shadows, kittens and pugs (yes, pugs terrify her). When we were with my in-laws she would cry for us to move their 2 month old kitten so she could go into rooms and the like. I'm wary, but with constant vigilance I think we'll be okay. Especially since she wags her tail very energetically and runs over to me whenever I'm by the rat cage and gets really upset when I close the door so the rats don't escape. She's weird.

Other than that, all is well. They let me pick them up just fine and apart from being a bit nervous, new people, new home, dog, etc, I think they're doing really well! They ate their food, so yeah.

I'm happy to be here with other people that love rats. It's a new love, but one look at their adorable little faces and I was a goner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum. Your babies are adorable!

I'd probably suggest getting a water bottle instead of a bowl. Bowls can get icky really fast, spilled and they will put everything in the bowl lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have a bottle as well, but they seemed to favor the bowl when I was transporting them home. I'm looking to transition them. For now they've only pooped in their food bowl, the water bowl they are also using, amusingly enough, to dip their food in before eating it. But I hope soon to have them on the water bottle alone. Any tips for that would be appreciated! 😊

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome! I'm a new owner as well - or more specifically will be a new owner in two weeks when we go to pick up our babies. :) Yours are super cute! I too worry about how our dog will react to them, she's a coonhound/lab cross, but time will tell. Best of luck with your new pets!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :) Your boys are adorable by the way, quite the handsome duo! I really like their colors! Did you get them from a breeder?

I have other animals as well, 2 dogs & 2 cats. So I understand your concern but as your dog is, my animals are just extremely curious.

Anyway, hope all is well with you and your boys! Have a great day :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think this woman was a breeder, I think it was maybe accidental. I went to her house and didn't get the impression that she bred regularly, though I also didn't ask. They were also the only ones these colors. The rest of the litter consisted of 3 grey girls and 2 albino girls. I didn't really get much information besides the fact that they were born on August 16th and were the only males. The rat habitat she had was amazing though, it was a custom built one which also served bizarrely enough as a tv stand... It looked very cool though. Honestly, I was just content with my rat babies and happy to get them home once I was sure that they were actually socialized. So once I stuck my hand in that cage and they let me pick them up I was pretty much sold.At any rate they were clearly handled regularly from an early age, as they've no problem with me picking them up. One of them even cuddled in my hair earlier. I had a bun and he just burrowed right in. The only problem in having with them right now is that they graze me sometimes with their teeth. They never bite down, so I'm not sure how to chastise them... It's just weird like they open their mouths and don't nip, but like touch me with their teeth... It's bizarre. Idk, they also like to just sit on my shoulder and sniff my ears...Other than that I've learned that they like hamster balls. I tried it out and it was hilarious watching them run around my living room. Lucius actually gets quite upset and tries to cling to the sides when you want to remove him. He's much more active than Titus though. Yesterday I tried to free range with them a bit but they weren't super interested in doing much other than climbing up my arms and circling my neck. I don't know if the hamster ball made them feel more protected maybe and that's why they went all out, but they had a blast! So I'm pretty pleased with everything thus far, other than the grazing. But that's mostly because I don't want to get bitten. So if they graze me I've just been pulling my hand away and switching my attention to the other one.I may be rambling now haha.I hope all is well with you as well! And I am really happy to have found this forum. It is such a great resource and it seems like a great community!

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's awesome! I got my girls from PetSmart so they're completely unsocialized unfortunately. Actually one of my girls randomly passed away yesterday and she was only 4 or 5 months old, so I definitely learned my lesson from buying through big chain companies like that..

I'm glad your boys are settling in well though and having a good time exploring and getting to know you and their new home. It sounds like they're having a blast! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your ratties are beautiful! Just joined the forum here and really liking all the info and pics. I'll be getting ratties of my own in a couple of months :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is awesome, congrats! They are probably growing like crazy. I just got two males 3 weeks ago and they're doubling in size every week! Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts