Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Rat baby has had lose stool since yesterday. I am cleaning the cage every couple of hours. I've had him for about a week. He is still eating and drinking normally and is not lethargic. At what point do I take him to the vet. Is there something I can do to help relieve the diarrhea?

·
Registered
7 Posts
They are on the power of five rat food from pets mart
I’m not familiar. Is it a pellet diet? Are you feeding it anything besides store bought rat food? Sometimes too much sugar from fruit can cause diarrhea. How old is your rat? Is it nervous or timid? Is it by itself? Did you allow it time to acclimate to its new home and you? Are you stressing it out from over handling? There’s so many factors ....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not familiar. Is it a pellet diet? Are you feeding it anything besides store bought rat food? Sometimes too much sugar from fruit can cause diarrhea. How old is your rat? Is it nervous or timid? Is it by itself? Did you allow it time to acclimate to its new home and you? Are you stressing it out from over handling? There’s so many factors ....
It is a pellet diet. It did have some papaya pieces very small. It is not by its self. He has a brother that we bought as well. I haven’t held him at all. He is very timid. I have only tried picking him up to try to clean his feet and bum because it had feces on it, but he didn’t want any of that so I stopped trying. Basil seems to be fine with no diarrhea. It’s just rizzo that is having the issue. I’ve been trying to let them acclimate to their new habitat and environment and of course me. They have had a hard boiled egg and a blueberry but when I seen the diarrhea I took everything out and washed the dishes and their bedding. They have only been getting the pellets since. Someone recommended I change the pellets to Oxbow so I do have some of that I just don’t want to risk it getting worse.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It could be that they're just nervous or their stomachs are reacting to a new diet or a whole egg between the two of them may have been a bit much or it could be a combination of all of these things. I'd give it a couple days. Keep an eye out for other signs of illness just to be safe, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is a pellet diet. It did have some papaya pieces very small. It is not by its self. He has a brother that we bought as well. I haven’t held him at all. He is very timid. I have only tried picking him up to try to clean his feet and bum because it had feces on it, but he didn’t want any of that so I stopped trying. Basil seems to be fine with no diarrhea. It’s just rizzo that is having the issue. I’ve been trying to let them acclimate to their new habitat and environment and of course me. They have had a hard boiled egg and a blueberry but when I seen the diarrhea I took everything out and washed the dishes and their bedding. They have only been getting the pellets since. Someone recommended I change the pellets to Oxbow so I do have some of that I just don’t want to risk it getting worse.
Ok, good that you changed to oxbow. No more pellets with fruit and no more fresh fruit until the diarrhea stops. Oxbow is the best. Which one did you buy though? There’s one for mice and young rats and there's one for adult rats. The one for mice and young rats, actually has corn in it, which is not great, although it has a good amount of protein. If you bought the oxbow for adults, it doesn’t have enough protein for young rats, so you’ll have to supplement with eggs or chicken etc. Try this for a few days and continue to monitor, unless of course you think it’s time for a visit to the vet, but I have a feeling between the stress of a new home, and the pellets you were feeding is probably the cause. Keep us posted ... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your help. I did wind up taking my boys to the vet and the sent some fecal samples to the lab and they came back with high levels of Giardia. The vet gave us some meds so hopefully we will be better in a couple of days.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Good to hear that you took them to the vet! My rats are on Oxbow and the one gets loose stool every now and again, so now everyone in the cage is on Mitomax, a probiotic that I mix into their baby food that they get every night. I haven't had a loose stool issue since. Hopefully it only takes one round of meds to get that Giardia cleared up for you. I assume the doctor recommended rechecking the fecal after treatment to make sure it has completely cleared?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts