Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!My son and I have what we call our "little zoo" here at home, 2 dogs, 2 cats, guinea pig, fish and we used to have two hamsters. Now in the last 4 months we've lost both of our tiniest friends to old age (2 & 3 yrs!). While we loved our little Hammies, we really wanted our newest little friends to be awake at the same time we are! My mother suggested rats! She's so smart! We got our first friend - Percy, from descriptions & pics, I'd say he is definately Berkshire, from our local pet store. Then I found an article online that said a lone rat is a lonely, unhappy rat, so my son & I took a trip to Petsmart and got our second friend, Thomas! He's a hooded rat from what I can tell. We've been told both are male. I read a lot of info about introducing two male rats not from the same colony, most info said do it slowly over 2-3 weeks!! So we've had them both in separate cages, but right next to each other. We've only had them for a week, but most of their time is spent sitting on their perspective ledges looking at and chattering to each other! Today I finally went for it and put them both into the same cage!! They were like long-lost friends reunited!! No aggression. Straight to grooming and playing and now they're both napping on the same little igloo! Is this unusual?!? Or a fluke, or am I in for some fights later?!!!Looking forward to learning lots of tips and advice from everyone!!Thanks!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi love, welcome to the Forum!
Congratulations on your new fur babies. :)

I have a rat pack of 8 and have gone through many introductions myself.
Honestly, it's not a fluke.

Rats generally like having a rat buddy. They're colony animals.
It's the far and few in between where you'll have an aggressive/anti-social rat.

So I'm glad to hear that things went great!

Best of luck, looking forward to seeing pictures! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yay!!!Thanks so much, you've totally put my mind at ease!! The lady at Petsmart said I'd be extremely lucky if they'd ever tolerate each other! I had my suspicions she was trying to make another sale!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts