Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! We've recently brought a little rattie snugglebunny home, whose name is Riddles. We went into a local pet store to pick up some food and treats for our other resident suckies, guinea pigs Coco and Lulu. While there, my daughter noticed a couple of aquariums rather shoved under a shelf and asked 'what's in there?' the gal responded with 'oh, those are rats'

After squealing (in a rather rat like fashion herself I suppose), she asked if we could take a look at them. We noticed that there were 3 aquariums, marked Small, Medium and Large. I asked why they were classified that way (thinking, 'I didn't know there are pygmy rats?!?') and we were told that it was just based on their ages.

Ah.

So, out comes Aquarium #1 and they pop the lid off. My daughter puts her hand down and they scatter. Except for one. Who was practically doing a hula dance while waving a sign that said 'HOWDY!' So, (not wanting her to scoop and possibly drop him), I reach down and he jumps on my hand. Then, he snuggled right into the crook of my arm. While I'm busy 'cootchee coo' ing him, my daughter is asking (as usual), 'how much?'. The gal says '5 dollars'. I said 'hmm, that seems rather inexpensive, no?'

Then, she said it. Right out loud like!!

'Well, we don't normally sell them as pets...'

THAT'S WHEN I REALIZED THAT THE LITTLE PERSON I HAD CRADLED IN MY ARM WAS A FEEDER RAT!!

Then, it happened. He looked at me. With those wee rattie baby eyes!

Needless to say, I have the sweetest little boy sleeping in my shirt as we speak! (Spent the entire day there yesterday, he only came out for a poop and a widdle). Since we've got Riddles (named after Tom Riddle of HP fame, as he could control the snakes), I've been in touch with a wonderful rat breeder and we have a new baby brother reserved for him, who will be able to come home shortly.

Because of his 'sketchy past', I've booked a 'well being check' with a local vet that's famous for his rat care, so looking forward to his getting a clean bill of health.

I was told by the breeder that, because he's a 'feeder' and, because he's an albino, we might not have that long with him and I'm hoping that's not true. Can't BELIEVE how attached I am to this little sprat already!!

So, hi! :D

thumbsucker.jpg

My new boy, sucking his thumb!

comfy.jpg

Comfy there Riddles?

grammakisses.jpg

Meeting my mother for the first time, ran right up and gave her kissies!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
What a precious baby! It's great that you've rescued him :D welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Aww! Riddles is very cute! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Aww, he's adorable <3 Welcome to the board!

My mother had a feeder rat as well, named Molly. She lived a long and healthy life. It's possible he might not live that long, but hopefully he'll do well!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is such a great story! I'm a new rattie mom too, this is our first pocket pet. We also went to the pet store but the rats just bit my son. It was a good lesson though because it made him realize he wanted a rat even though those first ones were not so nice. We ended up going to a breeder and paying considerably more, but they are so well socialized. Sounds like your little guy was just born to be a pet!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! And, turns out (because of listening to the IDIOT at the store where we got Riddles) he, is a she, lol! But, that's alright, but I must admit to being surprised, considering how calm and snuggly she is! And, NEW 'sister' on the way shortly, (unfortunately, the breeder we've been speaking with had a death in the family, so she's understandably a bit scattered at the moment), but now I'm nervous about introductions. Sigh...all the joys of Rattie Parenthood!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Your ratties are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO adorable! I squealed a little bit when you posted pictures. Sooo cute! so happy for you. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone! Riddles is definitely a little sweetheart, puts up with her new 'sisters' frantic, 'girl rat' behavior with a cheery dispositon, (and, closed eyes, lol!) Just love her to DEATH!!

As a bit of a 'funny aside', my daughter is in a competitive Cheer team here, (Ontario Champions, whoo hoo!) and Riddles has been an avid fan/shirt rider to her practices, (would have loved to take her to a few competitions, but the music is a bit loud, worried it would hurt her wee ears!), and last night was the Team Banquet. As I arrived, one of the other Mum's grabbed my BOOB and said, 'aww, is Riddles in there?' 'WTH?!?!' We couldn't stop laughing.

There was also a 'slide show' of pics through the season, as the girls saw others they liked, certain poses, etc., they'd scream. (Yes, a roomful of 6-15 year old girls can get a bit loud!) Well, when a shot of Riddles popped up on screen, I thought the ROOF was going to pop off, each and every one of them, (so it would seem), screamed 'RIDDDLEEEESSSSS!!! AWWWWW!!!' it was hilarious!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
What a cutie! I was going to buy a feeder rat to join my colony but the poor girl had lice and I just don't have the time/money to deal with that right now. They were so rough when they were trying to get her out so I could look at her...

I would recommend getting a second one because I know some males do okay alone, but a friend of mine kept her male rat by himself and he kind of went crazy...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts