Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new baby boys have learned their first trick! It took less than two weeks to teach them. And the lessons were not very intense with just a few tries each day. That's much faster than I thought it would go.
The trick is simple: turn around. All the ratty has to do is make a 360-degree spin. But we are so proud they were able to do it so fast, smart little beasts! The motivator is the magic of Cheerios. :)

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3B93wP6-4

·
Registered
85 Posts
Awesome job, both of you! Your ratties are adorable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Awww awesome!!! May I ask how you taught them to turn around like that? It's so cute, I love it

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The method was to hold out a cheerio above the rat's head and make a circular motion with hand, forcing the ratty to follow the hand/snack. Then after some time you stop doing the motion and hold the snack high enough so the rat can't reach it, and you wait if he starts turning. If not, circle hand again. After some time he would start to associate the motion with reward, and start to turn on his own when he sees the hand with cheerio.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's great! Thank you for sharing your method with me :) It was pretty much how I figured it was done, but good to have confirmation. Very smart and cute little boys you have :D Can't wait to see what they learn next

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's great! How did you get them to do that? Just perseverance?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts