Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Claudia had her first trip to the vet today! And as I expected, she did NOT enjoy the experience! lol
Nothing is wrong with her, I just wanted to get her a check-up and have her established as a patient there in case anything happens while I'm out of town and the rat sitter has to bring her in- all the paperwork is filled out now and all that good stuff.

But she was quite a handful! I wasn't sure they'd be able to examine her at all, but the vet and vet tech did a great job (they always do, I take my rabbits here and even my bun that loathes to be touched is taken care of with minimal issues) and were able to check her over. She's very fast and very slippery and was very uncooperative!
I was just wondering how everyone elses vet trips go? Is it a rat rodeo or are your ratties more cooperative? I'm partly curious because I've never had a Norway rat, but they seem so much more chill than my roof rat so I was wondering if a part of her unruliness was just part of her species' nature.

At one point we put her in a metal basket type thing to weigh her. The vet tech was talking to me about how fast rats are when he opened the lid and she immediately FLEW out of the basket, through the air, and down my shirt. I was like "Yeah, they're great jumpers, too!" ;D

Mammal Vertebrate Rat Degu Gerbil

Here's Claudia enjoying some post-vet babying I love her little rat hands! So cute!

ETA: ALSO! For anyone comfortable sharing, how much does it cost to give your rat a basic checkup? My vet is almost $70. They weighed her, listened to her heart, checked her paws/mouth/eyes, and felt around her belly and checked her bladder, then talked for a minute with me about common health issues and gave me advice on housing her with a Rattus norvegicus (which was not to do it). It seems kinda of pricey to me, but I understand it's an "exotic" and I really love my vet. I was just wondering how it compared to other places and areas of the country/world.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I feel like $70 is waaay too expensive, to be honest. I live in upstate NY, where there aren't a whole lot of exotic vets, and even my checkup for possible aggression issue related conditions/just general checkup was only $35.

My friend who lives in OK has vets around that do it for $20 :/

·
Registered
150 Posts
Glad your check up went well! Louise had her first trip to the vet about a week and a half ago and she did really great. She let the vet tech weigh her with no problems and let them hold her while the vet did his "vet things" lol. She even had to get a shot of medication (she had a respiratory infection) and she did amazing for it. Im a very proud rat mommy :D

$70 dollars is verrrrrrry expensive (in my opinion) for just a check-up. My vet isnt much cheaper. But I really like him! A standard exam is $52. But when we went he gave her a shot and 3 medications for us to give her for her URI and the total ended up being $136!! To say the least, I was NOT expecting that price AT ALL. But I must say, in the end I really liked the vet and will be going back to him if we have any other problems or if any one else needs a check-up!

Pandorascaisse, $20 for an exam! I need to move there... haha!

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Vet visits are $65/rat, $35/rat if 2+ for me.

From a young age I manhandled mine as a vet would to train them. Generally, their still squirmy and squeaky but I help as needed. My vets are very good and used to dealing with exotics including untame birds.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I love my vet. I've been going there for years and have had almost 100% great experiences. I had a special needs elderly bun that seemed to have something wrong every other week and they were just really great and informative. He isn't the cheapest in the area but there are actually waaaaay pricier places. Also he is directly across the street from my new place so you can't beat the convenience (where I used to live I drove 40 minutes to get to their office so this is a nice change).
When I was getting my rabbit spayed I called around to a ton of vets getting estimates. A lot in the $300-$400 range, but one place in the same area was $500! My vet was around $250, but this was before I had ever been there and ended up going somewhere for $150. For the next bun I found out the ASPCA in the next town over was only $42. Granted he was a male but still- one vet office quoted me $500 to neuter him!

I don't mind paying it, but I was like man what if I had like 3 rats and they all needed to go it? That doesn't even include medication or testing for infections or anything. I think if I was going to start keeping a bunch of rats I'd have to find a cheaper option.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The only vet in my area (and it's a bit of a drive too) that has exotic vets on staff is ridiculously expensive. Check ups for the rats cost me $80+. Back when I wanted my females spayed I nearly spat out my coffee at the estimate they gave me. LOL. But, I'm not sure I would switch to a different vet unless I liked them as much as I do my current one. He's great and he adores the rats. They're also a 24 hour emergency clinic, so that's useful.

So far I've only had to bring in a few of my ratties. April and May were not thrilled, but they did well besides the diving into my shirt part. Lol. Opie hated every second of it and kept jumping back into his carrier. September bruxed like crazy (nervous bruxing) the whole time and I felt so bad, but he didn't totally freak out and actually kept still while being examined.

August? He LOVED it there. He is just a people person and loves the attention. There were 3 people in the room besides me - the vet and two techs. He walked over to each, looked at them until they pet him, and then jumped onto the vet's shoulder. LOL. It was pretty great.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
When I took my two girls I was told it was $48 for the first rat and $38 for any extra rats that come along, but this weekend I took a rescue in for an unplanned appointment and his general exam was $50 plus an extra $42 for some basic URI meds. I think that $50 was a bit high only because it seemed that he barely did anything in the exam. They weighed him and looked him over for maybe 2 minutes max and that was it. Overall though my vet is the only decent exotics get around and he and the staff actually love rats and think they're so cute, and he is very knowledgeable about exotics (they also see foxes, hawks, horses, turtles etc) so I'm sticking to them for now

·
Registered
995 Posts
While my vet is incredibly sweet, its $42/animal just to walk in the door. My newest boys neuter was only $80 but he had to have a 2 min $42 check up first. And thats the cheapest in my area. One vet wanted $350 for a neuter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.